Chapter 10: Sundaes and Sundays

RJ and Maine were currently at a diner. It was a casual place that Jerald and RJ usually hanged out in and ate lunch.

RJ flashed a smile as Maine grabbed a spoonful of her sundae and slipped it inside her mouth. It appeared that she was savoring the treat, letting it sit on her tongue for a while before swallowing it.

"Good right?" RJ started
Maine nodded feverishly, a delightful expression carved on her features

"Really good, how'd you know I love sundaes?"

RJ shrugged "I didn't.... your dad told me" he replied with a guilty grin. The slim girl sighed as she shook her head chuckling.

The front door opened as the chime overhead rung. RJ shifted his gaze from Maine to the door, a frown sliding down the corner of his lips as he watched the person stroll by.

"Julieanne...." RJ spat as Maine took another bite of her sundae before looking at the girl.
Julieanne stood before them, arms crossed.

"Your here too?" she asked before looking over to Maine then back at RJ. Giving a malevolent smirk she croaked "Oh I see, the two losers are on a date" Her comrades behind her joined in with laughter.

As if getting a boost from all the positive response, she continued "I don't see why you ditched us for this freak, I mean I knew you were stupid... but I didn't know you were THAT stupid"

RJ stood up from his seat, pounding the table with clenched fists. Maine instinctively flinched, surprised with RJ's action. Maine looked up at the enraged boy before her, watching.

"BAWIIN MO YUNG SINABI MO!" RJ growled
Julieanne looked at him blankly, unphased by his statement.

"Bawiin ang alin? Calling you stupid?"

"NO! FOR CALLING MAINE A FREAK!" he corrected, his tone louder and more aggressive.

Julieanne maliciously laughed, as she leaned over to Maine. With a swift stroke, she pushed the half eaten sundae, allowing it to fall on the table with a clang. The ice-cream spilled, running over the surface of the table slowly

"What? She IS a freak" Julieanne reiterated with a giggle. Turning her back away from RJ she looked over to her friends "Let's go, this place is infested with losers" she ordered.

RJ's patience immediately evaporated after that, and so did his reasoning. He could hear Maine reassure him that it was okay, and for him to just sit back down but he didn't listen.

Marching over to Julieanne, he tapped her shoulder. Instinctively, Julieanne turned around only to find a hard push colliding with her friends. The impact was hard as she backed away, stunned and bruised to even retaliate. Her friends unsure of how they should react.

It took Julieanne quite a while to recompose herself, as she slowly touched her bruised jaw. Flinching from the pain, she gave RJ a cold glare as she cried "You'll pay for this".

Motioning for her friends to follow, they left the diner without so much as a word.

RJ sighed as he sauntered back to his table. The customers looking at him alarmed or frightened as a waitress finished cleaning off the mess Julieanne made. Giving a reassuring smile to Maine, he sat back down.

"Sorry for that" RJ started, as he pushed his sundae to Maine "Here, you can have mine.... I only took a few bites of it" he asserted, pretending that the whole fiasco with him and Julieanne never happened.

Maine nodded with a grin "Thanks"

*******************************

They had already finished the sundaes and were now just talking- about school, yesterday, happenings that would come, basically anything under the weather that seemed interesting. RJ was too engaged in the conversation as he didn't feel someone slip beside him.