Chapter 21: Waiting list

True 'Goodbyes' are ones that can't be uttered nor explained. There is nothing in this world that compares to saying 'goodbye'. The sorrow that comes with it is indescribable, but the hope it brings as well far outweighs anything uncontainable.

The never ending hope that this goodbye won't be the last. The hope that keeps us going, keeps our heads high and our hearts light as we wait for the 'next time'; if it ever comes. Some who say that parting is never a big deal obviously never had to do so. It takes strength, determination, and heart to say goodbye. It's not easy and it's not orderly; maybe that's why we coined the word 'Good' to 'Goodbye', hoping that such a positive remark can make that word less painful.
Ignorance after all, is bliss.

*******************

Mr.Mendoza and RJ were sitting down in the office of his Mother. He persuaded Maine's dad to let him into the conversation with the doctor regarding Maine's health, though even if he didn't let him... He would find a way.

RJ yawned as he didn't get much sleep after attending to Maine for the whole night. Though his body was tired, his mind was on high alert. Heart pounding like thunder he frantically wiped the sweat from his palm, this was nerve wracking and it didn't help that the smell of the hospital made him a bit nauseous.

The air conditioner buzzed as they sat there in silence, both thinking of one person in particular; Maine.

The door opened as Dra. Faulkerson stepped inside the office. She had a grim look on her face as the woman never dared to meet anyone in the eye. With a sigh, she slipped herself on her leather chair before leaning on the wooden desk.

Just by her look, they both knew that the news would be bad.

"I'll just get straight to the point" she started as she gathered the strength to utter the words she was about to say next "Her heart is deteriorating more quickly then we feared. I thought we would have a few more years before even considering a transplant, but the illness is unpredictable and judging from the new scans, the growth of scar tissue is increasing exponentially"

"S-so, what are you trying to say?" RJ asked impatiently, hands gripping the arm handles of the chair with such force that his knuckles turned white.

"I'm saying she's on the final stages of the disease" The woman explained with professionalism "It's time to think about that transplant"

Mr.Mendoza swallowed the lump in his throat before croaking "Y-you're going to put her on the waiting list?"

She nodded as she fixed the lens of her glasses "I've already registered her name on it, and it's been approved"

The office was silent for a while, no one daring to break it as they sat there speechless. A mix of fear, shock and despair were all plastered on their faces.

"W-well... that's good right?" RJ asked with a light smile as he looked at his mother, trying with all his might to find hope in this dark situation "She'll be better, that's all that matters"

"Yes, if the operation's a success, it will prolong her life span greatly"

"What do you mean IF the operation's a success?" RJ, fist slamming the arm chair as Mr.Mendoza looked at him consolingly "It WILL be a success" he corrected.

The doctor coughed as she strayed her eyes away from the boy.

Maine's father took a minute to register it all in his head. As soon as he accepted words, he turned his eyes to RJ's mother "So, how long do we have to wait for the organ?"

"The average waiting time is seven months"

"Pitong buwan?!?" RJ shot up from his chair as he harshly planted his palms on the desk "That
long?!?"