Chapter 8: Paper Airplanes

Upon reaching the parking lot he could see various students laying scattered across the plot of land, sitting down on benches, grouped together with their friends, laying down on the field soaking the sun, or just walking by.

RJ wanted a quiet place to talk, but he couldn't find one so he dragged Maine here.

When they were finally beside his parked car, he turned around to Maine

"Okay ka lang?" RJ cried as he examined her ruined dress. Passing students watched them curiously but he didn't care, after the fiasco that went on in the cafeteria he grew apathetic towards peoples stares.

"Okay lang" Maine said reassuringly
RJ noticed he was still holding on to Maine's hand, and so let go instantly before giving out an innocent cough.

"Erm, that's good. C'mon I'll drive you back home so you can change" he stated as RJ pulled open the car door.

Maine slipped inside the front passenger seat and gave RJ a weak smile. It was the first smile she gave in what seemed like ages.

Propping his self down on the driver's seat he ignited the car's engine and sped off.

"I...I like spaghetti you know" RJ blurted out, starving to create some sort of conversation with her.

Realizing what he just said, RJ let out a quiet groan as he began to beat his self up for saying something totally irrelevant, not to mention just plain stupid.

Maine gave out a light laugh "Ummm...That's good to know?" how embarrassing.

Minutes passed with RJ silently driving and Maine looking out the window. The slim girl shifted her weight on her seat as she gazed down at her lap, hesitantly she spoke "Um, RJ... thanks for earlier, pero hindi mo naman kailangang gawin yun"

"Gawin ang alin?"

"You know..umm.. defend me"

"Yup, your right I didn't have to do that.... I wanted to do that" he voiced as he flashed Maine a wide smile.

The slim girl laughed before returning RJ's smile with her own "Your so confusing, you know that?" She just shrugged as a smirk ran up her features.

"But aren't mysterious people alluring?" He asked teasingly.

"I said confusing, not mysterious"

Maine interjected as she followed it with a laugh.

"Pareho lang yun" RJ retorted, nonchalantly.

*************************

Arriving at Maine's house in one piece was a phenomenon of the hour for the two. After their mini conversation, no one dared speak after. It was silent, too silent inside the car. Awkwardness made RJ nervous and apprehensive, RJ couldn't handle it so he just mainly sat on the cotton cushion, the comfort deceasing substantially.

Breath barely controllable, RJ prayed that they get there faster. And like a prayer heard, the screeching sounds of tires stopping filled the two's eardrums.

RJ pulled over his car in front of Maine's house. He smiled gingerly at Maine before lifting his self out of the car, Maine followed suit.

"I'll just wait here for you" he started as Maine gave a nod before striding to the front porch.

RJ stood there, leaning against the side of his car as he tucked his hands inside his pockets.

He was debating whether or not to formally ask Maine for forgiveness.

Shifting his gaze down on the cement sidewalk, he sighed.

No, no she won't forgive. You're a jerk, she doesn't want you to be her friend. Yes, yes it's worth a try. You do want to be her friend right? Maybe this could be the perfect time to break down the tension between you guys