Chapter 28: The Wedding

Love, the further I travel these waters the more distant they become. For sailing can be completed, they occupy time comfortably and with no hassle. With some leeway, they are predictable. I have set off and found that there is no end to even the simplest journey of love.

I begin, and straight away a hundred alternative routes present themselves. I choose one, no sooner begin, and then I find a hundred more appear. Every time I try to narrow down my intent, I expand it, and yet those straits and canals still lead me to the open sea. I then realize how vast it all is, this matter of the heart. I am confounded by the shining water and the sheer immensity of it.

"RJ, are you ready?" Louise asked with a smile as she preened her best friend's black suits.

"Ready as I'll ever be" RJ spoke in an excited manner "and yeah, and I'll be watching you and Coleen VERY closely"

Louise scoffed before muttering "It's not like we're going to do anything in the ceremony.... just in your reception" she whispered the last four words.

"What'd you say?"

"Nothing" Louise shot back with an innocent smile before turning the boy around "Now go and wait for Maine"

"You know, I wanted to walk the aisle too, but NOOO you wouldn't let me" RJ retorted as he gave a piercing glare to his best friend.

"Hey, Ako ang wedding planner dito and what I say goes. Anyways, SOMEONE had to wait in the front...!" she defended.

"My cousin always dreamed of walking the aisle someday, so I'm not going to let you stop her.... Give and take RJ, you've got to learn how to give and take"

With a sigh, RJ nodded before following Louise to the center of the shore. They planned to do a beach wedding at the same place RJ and Maine had their first dance. It was a warm evening. The sky was still in the midst of converting itself from day to night as the hidden stars quietly watched this fated day.

The waves broke like always, but this time, it was a melody worth hearing.

"Grabe kinakabahan ako" RJ whispered to his best friend's ear.

Louise gave a reassuring slap on the back before guiding him to the center of the lane, where a sandy path divided the set of beach chairs into two parts.

"Don't worry, it's normal" Louise reassured

"You say that like you've been wed already"
The girl rolled her eyes before giving RJ one last hug "Congratulations" she ecstatically cried before releasing RJ and grabbing the walkie-talkie.

"Coleen, Operation: Beach Wedding is underway, send the 'Menggay' in".

"Roger, Menggay is now approaching" the other line buzzed. With a satisfied nod, Louise started the program.

*********************
Soundtrack: Boyce Avenue – On My Way [Play for a better reading experience]

RJ looked around at the familiar faces. Friends and family sat, watching with smiles and tears. Louise and Coleen were located at the back of everyone, organizing the whole wedding.

Jerald and Uncle Joey sitting right at the front row with big grins plastered on their faces. Typically though, his cousin's lips were covered in granola bits as he chewed on a bar. How many had he had this evening? RJ could never tell.

Her mom and dad were sitting beside Jerald, eyes brimming with tears. Though his mother and father still weren't on great terms with each other, they promised that they would both be there; and RJ wouldn't have it any other way. Jake sat on the second row, an assuring smile on his features. Where was Valeen? RJ didn't know, it was hard spotting someone in a sea of faces.