Chapter 18: An Unstoppable Force Meets an Immovable Object

There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm.

Three Days after the hospital visit.

Sunday.

RJ took a sip from his coffee and eyed his cousin. The boy had a heavy inflexibility in his eyes, moved as if gathering suffering unto himself, unmindful of its vast weight, spoke as if incapable of yielding, of denying the gifts of his spirit.

It was five in the morning, and he was situated in the kitchen busily preparing the food for the surprise picnic he would give to Maine.

"Ang aga mo ah?" Jerald shot back as he rubbed his eyes before giving out a yawn. "I want to go out on a picnic with Maine" RJ casually voiced.

His cousin automatically shifted his eyes to the clock that was hanging on the wall above the pantry.

He sighed before plopping on one of the kitchen stools "don't you think it's a bit too early for a picnic?" RJ didn't bother to look at Jerald as he was busy placing the orange juice inside a bottle "It'll be sunrise soon enough, and I want to see it with her" he projected before closing the lid shut.

Scoffing, his cousin rolled his eyes as he swayed left and right on the rotating stool

"is something wrong?" RJ immediately turned his head to Jerald, a panicked look arousing from him platonic expression.

RJ noticed the change and shifted it back to a nonchalant one "Uhh, wala naman bkit?"

Jerald shrugged before plopping his elbow on the kitchen counter and laid his head on it "I don't know, you just seem distant these past few days"

"You're thinking too hard" RJ defended as he began wrapping muffins and placing them inside a bag.

"I'm not the only one, Meng thinks so too" Jerald cooly cooed.

"Remind me to tell her not to hang out with you too much, she's picking up on your abnormally weird observations" RJ cried with a smirk.

"Oh, go find a big hole and jump in" his cousin rebuked quickly. "There is no bigger hole on this planet than the one currently residing between your ears. You know, the blackish thing where all the information goes to die" RJ teased before grabbing the bag prepared for the picnic.

"I'll be gone for a while, so I'll see you later" RJ voiced before leaving for the front doors.

****************************

He sat in front of the porch of the Mendoza residence as he waited for Maine to come out.

RJ had called her ten minutes ago in her mobile phone, afraid that if he knocked on the door, he would wake Coleen and their father.

RJ told Maine to get dressed and come out, and though Maine was still half asleep when hearing it; she immediately complied.

RJ gave out a sigh, tucking his hands inside his pants pocket. The breeze was cool since it was still the early hours, and the sky was painted in darkened sapphire.

RJ eyed the cracks of the pavement underneath him as he watched an ant slip in and out of the crevice.

He waited there for a few more minutes before he felt a poke on his shoulder. Jerking his head to the culprit, he gave out a wide smile as he wrapped Maine in a tight hug.

The slim girl giggled before planting a kiss on RJ's cheek. "so why are we up so early?" she asked in a curious manner.

Releasing her from the hug, RJ grabbed Maine's hand and quickly dragged her towards his car with a light chuckle "Come on, I want to show you something".