Chapter 11: Fate vs Choice

Throughout the ages it is believed 'fate', by some uncontrollable force, has the power to pull two unwilling souls together. That's the reason there's such a term as soulmates right? The belief that you yourselves do not destine who you be with, but that the stars choose for you. Is that not a scary thought? The outcome of a person's choices is controlled by the way in which they are fated to occur.

It's not easy to believe that your other half or love, is not decided by you but by some unseen force. Would you allow yourselves to drift in the current dictated by fate, to go where the river wishes you to go, to flow where the ebb wills you to flow, or will you choose to swim upstream? To fight the current, to pursue the person you chose to love, to challenge the raging waters just for a chance to choose.

If your determined and you try hard enough you'll be able to overcome the tide, but if your drive isn't sufficient you'll be doomed to keep swimming in the same spot forever, never moving forward and never moving back. It's easy when the person your fated to be with also is the person you chose to want to be with. Not only are you going with the current, but you are also swimming with it. It's much faster and pain-free when the two match up.

But what if they don't? What if you love one but fate chooses another? Which direction will you swim in?

**************************

Saturday.

RJ looked out of the living room window, raising an eyebrow he watched as his neighbors move luggages inside the house. Curious, he sauntered over to the front door and went out.

"Hey Mr.Mendoza!" he said, waving a hand to the man who was desperately trying to carry a brown case to the house. Rushing to Maine's dad, RJ firmly gripped on the handle case.

"Here let me help you with that" he offered as he began to pull the luggage inside his house.

Dropping the baggage on the front porch, Mr.Mendoza grinned eagerly to RJ "Thanks bud" he stated RJ smiled back, before popping the question "So, what's all this for?"

"My niece is visiting us" he answered before opening the front door and inviting RJ in "We're just putting her luggage inside"
RJ nodded as he grabbed the case out of the front porch and inside the house "Ahh, so andito na siya?" he asked curiously.

RJ wondered who Maine's cousin might be, wondered if they looked alike.

Mr.Mendoza shook his head "She's not here today, but she'll be here tomorrow. The luggage came here first, oddly enough. I'm really excited though, Matagal narin di kami nagkikita" he answered, his tone cheery.

RJ laughed at his jovial mood and nodded "I can't wait too" he added.
Maine's dad patted RJ on the head "Oh yeah, you'll love her" he confirmed.

Scanning the room, RJ found it to be quite empty "Nasaan po si Maine?" he asked Mr.Mendoza turned to him a with a sly smile "She's at the library right now. Why do you ask?"

'Figures' RJ thought before answering "Oh, I just wanted to remind her about tomorrow"

"Why, what are you guys doing tomorrow?" he asked ecstatically.

RJ didn't know if he should tell Mr.Mendoza considering the fact that Maine didn't tell him.
But he thought that since he already liked him, he would have a positive response "We're going on a date tomorrow" he replied, looking at him with unsure eyes.

Mr.Mendoza stood there, motionless, jaw dropped. RJ was preparing his self for the worst now, taking a step back towards the front doors.

"Sir are you okay?" he asked apprehensively.