Chapter 4: Tutor

...There is a progression in all things. Madness, miracles, even dreams broken into their most feverish extremes follow some thread of association. The unexpected, the astonishing, are always the effect of ignorance, no matter how absolute they may seem. In this world everything has its reasons...

It's been three weeks since the party and RJ and Jerald were busy with their new found friends.

RJ waited patiently for his cousin. RJ back up against the wall, glancing at the cracks and imperfections of the walls and floors.

His books were tightly fastened between his arm and left hip. The weight was bearable but uncomfortable, there were books, texts and numerous other anonymous objects that he had brought with him.

'School, what a nuisance' he contemplated as he watched the passing students.

He always hated how the teachers seemed to always know everything. As if their knowledge had some way to substantiate what 'truth' was. He cared nothing of it, the game of learning such useless sub-truths was futile. Seeking Truth is and always will be futile.

RJ would stand firm in this, for Truth in itself is uncertain. And as such, can only assume what 'Truth' is... always peering through the looking glass but never really there. A hypothesis. What we firmly believe to be true now, can always change in the future. Yes, ambiguous because it always stands on shifting sand.

Truth - the absence of falsity, cannot be attained by frail error-prone humans. As such our minds are limited, never subject to grow and expand out of the contours of natural design. And so we can only assume what 'Truth' really is.

No, only the gods could command such complexity as 'Truth'. But if attempting to acquire Knowledge and Truth made them happy, though fruitless.. then why stop them? Those who believe in certainty are certain to get disappointed.

"Bro, Sorry I'm late" Jerald puffed, it looked like he's been running all the way here.

"Pinagantay mo ko ng matagal" RJ said faking an irritated tone. A laugh reverberated from his lips as he patted his cousin on the back "C'mon let's get to class"

***************

They sat at their usual spots in the room, though this time, Julieanne switched her spot to sit behind the two cousins. Patricia sat beside Julieanne and behind them sat Valeen and Jake.

"Hey RJ what are you gonna do to Ms.Ruby this time?" Patrica asked amusingly

"...I bet you it's gonna be something real funny" Valeen interjected
RJ gave a malicious smile "You'll see" he replied

They then talked about random things, the food in the cafeteria, their math homework, the weekend, Jerald mad obsession over food. RJ was laughing along with them, telling jokes, making fun of the other people in class, for now he was happy with his new found clique.

He scanned the room out of habit and his eyes landed on the slim girl sitting in the opposite side of class. They held eye contact for a while before RJ broke it off. It was awkward to say the least, especially them being neighbors and all that.

Ever since the pool incident Maine would give her an icy glare every time RJ passed in the halls. In class whenever he answered the teacher's question the slim girl would quietly scoff and roll her eyes.

At home he would see Maine outside her window. It was bad enough that they could see each others room from the window, but this time RJ was extremely paranoid over that fact.

At night he could catch a glimpse of Maine writing on her desk, other times they would hold eye contact before turning away and other times Maine would just close the blinds all together.