Chapter 15: Six Feet Under the Stars

RJ pulled on the crook of his collar as he swallowed the lump in his throat. Dusting himself off, he knocked on the door of the Mendoza residence.

Waiting for the door to open, he tapped his foot eagerly as he took in a deep breath. Pulling his self together, he lightly gripped on the lone daisy that was wrapped around his fingers.

Louise told him to buy a single flower, not too much and not too little for the first date. Honestly, he would've been oblivious to what to do in the date if his best friend hadn't helped him.

He had a lot to thank Louise for; for being there, for giving him advice, and for even joining in on him insane plans. RJ was lucky to have her as a friend.

The door opened.

"Hello po Mr.Mendoza" he started with an unsure smile.

He didn't respond for minute, until he pulled him in for a bear hug "Oh RJ! You don't know how hard it was for me to try to hate you!" he cried "I swear, I was going to go insane" The boy was shocked and overwhelmed at the man's answer.

He giggled as Mr.Mendoza released him from his embrace "No harm done Mr.Mendoza" he stated "I knew you wouldn't let me down bud" he responded, giving him a playful punch on the shoulder.

"So... we're good?" RJ nodded feverishly, relieved that they were finally back to normal "Of course"

"RJ YOU'RE HERE!!!" Coleen interjected from behind the man. RJ waved at the girl as Maine's sister pushed her father aside "Come in" she voiced, pulling RJ inside the house.

He laughed as he watched Coleen jump up and down frantically in front of him "Oh my god, that night was sooo fun. When are we going to do it again?" she asked RJ shook his head "Hopefully never!" Coleen frowned.

Then Louise came prancing into the living room "RJ!!!!" she wailed.

They gave each other a quick hug as RJ chuckled "uy! Thanks sa advice ah" he
started, showing Louise the flower he bought earlier.

His best friend just replied with a quick nod and a pat on the back "No problem" she voiced with a wink. "So where's Maine?" RJ asked as he plopped on the couch.

Flash.

Glancing instantly at the source of the burst, he saw Mr.Mendoza holding a camera. Pulling it down from his vision, he replied "She's upstairs getting ready, it'll only be a minute or two"

RJ nodded as he waited for his date.

***********************************

RJ was busily laughing with Coleen, Louise and Mr.Mendoza in the living room that he didn't notice Maine coming down from the stairs.

"....Oh I know! And then Jerald was li-" he stopped as a wide grin lifted from his lips. RJ watched as Maine came strolling to the living room, adorned in a beautiful red dress.

A honey colored bracelet hung from her left wrist as it complimented her hair which flowed down from her head like a waterfall.

Automatically, RJ stood up from the couch, a smile permanently planted on his features 'Stop smiling, stop smiling... your gonna look like a freaken creeper, stop smiling, stop smiling!' He thought as Maine stopped in front of them.

"Hi guys" she started shyly
Without thinking, RJ pushed the flower to Maine face "For you!" He blurted before mentally slapping his self for acting so stupid.

Maine took it gracefully as she flashed the boy a smile "Thanks" Another Flash. They both simultaneously turned to their right, as they saw Mr.Mendoza holding the camera again with a big grin on his face "For memory's sake" he recoiled.