twenty

((a/n; iM SO MALUM AF I CRI))

michael tugged on the sleeve of his sweater as it was too cold outside and his other hand intertwined with luke's as they walked towards their locker.

"i don't get why i have to go to school today." luke murmured, sitting cross legged on the dirty school floor but he didn't seem to care.

"me neither." michael responded, squatting down and opening his locker. he furrowed his eyebrows when seeing a box of sweethearts candy (the small heart shaped ones) in his locker with a sticky note attached to the box,

remember when you said you wanted sweethearts candies but it doesn't sell much here? well i found a box  :D

- cal

michael looked back, spotting calum staring at him and a small smile formed on his face. 'i love you' michael mouthed towards calum and as he was about to respond but ashton tugged calum back, making michael frown slightly.

"mikey? you alright?" luke asked, causing michael to lose his train out thoughts.

"i'm fine." michael muttered, quietly opening the box and popping some in his mouth, grinning at the

;

michael would occasionally meet calum on the staircase and usually on the way from classes to classes. they'd often steal kisses and squeeze each other's bum jokingly. both had to keep distance from each other as luke didn't want to talk to ashton, which meant that luke didn't want to talk to calum as well and likewise.

lunch was a bit boring since he always spent it with calum and ashton. but it was only luke accompanying him at lunch, which was nothing new as they sat normally like this before both of them got boyfriends.

"i miss ashton." luke muttered sadly for the billionth time that day.

michael wouldn't say anything because he'll end up telling luke to apologize to ashton but it wasn't luke's fault, it was ashton's. michael rarely got to hang out with calum because luke would always want him around.

a few hours became a few days, a few days became a few weeks and that's how it went for calum and michael. its been a week since they've talked properly, it felt like forever. it became tough for both of them and it made michael so upset.

so calum and michael planned on seeing each other when luke and ashton were busy with their families. michael had lightly knocked on the white wood of calum's front door, only to be greeted with a cute messy haired calum once the door opened.

"mikey." calum breathed out, engulfing him into a bear hug, "fuck, i missed you."

"i missed you more." michael whispered, burying his face into calum's chest.

"but we need to talk." michael spoke as they pulled away from the hug.

"what about, princess?" calum questioned, pulling michael onto his lap as he sat on the couch.

"i think we should take a break." michael murmured, fiddling with his fingers.

calum furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "a break from what?"

michael hesitated, biting on his tongue, "like, a break from our relationship."

calum's arms loosened around michael's waist and a frowned tugged on his lips, "was it something i did?"

michael turned around so he was straddling calum and facing him. he shook his head quickly and cupped calum's face, "no cally. you're literally the best boyfriend in the world."

"then why are you dumping me?" calum whispered, his voice cracking at the end which made michael's heart ache.

"calum," michael sighed, "this has nothing to do with you. i feel like should take a break from each other because we rarely spend time with each other anymore."

"but how am i supposed to spend time with you when ashton always needs comforting?" calum sniffed, and michael squeezed calum's hand.

"that's the point. ashton and luke would do the same if they were in our position." michael said, running his fingers through calum's messy hair.

"will we get back together when they do?" calum asked and michael nodded.

"we'll see how it goes." michael responded, and calum let out a heavy sigh.

"what if they don't get back together?" calum's eyes teared up and michael shushed him, wiping away calum's tears with the pad of his thumb.

"i'm sure they will. stay positive." michael whispered, pressing a chaste kiss on calum's lips.

"c-can you at least stay mine for the night?" calum asked, burying his face in michael's shoulder.

"of course, baby." michael whispered, wiping away his tears that had leaked unknowingly.

;

the week went horrible for michael. he missed calum so much and regretted breaking up with him, but it was only for awhile though. come to think of it, calum was right, what if luke and ashton never gets back together?

sometimes, michael would come early to school and sneakily open calum's locker (they knew each other's combination locks) to stuff a lunch container for calum to eat. michael would write a short note on a sticky note and attach it on the lunch container just to make calum's day.

and it did, calum grinned when seeing a familiar container in his locker with an 'i love you' and a small heart next to it scrawled out on the sticky note. 

luke would occasionally make michael skip some classes with him so he could cry at the library or sometimes at the back of the school, and michael would think of calum and cry along with luke. luke was confused at first, though he soon found out that calum and michael broke up. he felt really guilty because he for pretty sure that michael and calum broke up because of them but michael insisted it wasn't, which was a lie.

"why didn't you tell me?" luke asked, rubbing michael's back soothingly.

"i regret it." michael sniffed, and sometimes it just hit him hard that maybe ashton was in the same position, blaming himself for the breakup. calum did say ashton regretted it.

———
i miss malum already :-(

so let me get this clear, calum looks like present calum, michael looks like 2013 michael with pastel hair, luke looks like 2014 luke, ashton looks like 2013 ashton :-))

opinions on malum's break up?