twenty four

michael nervously bit his bottom lip when seeing that calum's team had only one more minute to score two more goals to make it a tie between the two teams. but watching calum's upset expression as their time was up made michael's heart ache.

luke and michael both shared a look before they got up and walked towards the locker room. michael frowned when seeing calum on the bench with his face buried in his knees. michael gently placed a hand on calum's arm, rubbing soothingly but calum harshly shrugged it off.

"i said leave me alone." calum muttered, his voice a bit muffled as his face was buried in his knees.

"cally?" michael whispered and calum's head shot up, looking at michael with bloodshot eyes.

"baby," michael sighed, sitting next to the maori and raking his fingers through calum's hair despite calum being extra sweaty. michael didn't care though.

"i'm sorry." calum sniffled and michael furrowed his brows, tilting his head to the side in confusion.

"i wanted to win for you." calum whispered, answering michael's unasked question. it hurt for michael to see calum like this, though he felt his heart swell when calum wanted to win this for him.

"you don't have you win anything for me." michael whispered, pressing a kiss to the side of calum's head, "don't pressure yourself. i'll still love you even if you quit football."

"really?" calum sniffled, and michael replied with a quiet 'yes', rubbing calum's back soothingly.
"baby, why don't you go take a shower." michael suggested and calum nodded, standing up but still didn't let go of michael's hand.

"join me?" calum questioned, and michael blushed. he hesitated for awhile but nodded anyways as he didn't want calum to be more upset.

calum laced his fingers with michael's and guided him to an empty cubicle. the showers were busy, boys screaming and singing in their showers as if they've won the game. they made it seem like calum was the only one upset for losing.

michael helped calum undress, before undressing himself and hung their clothes up on a hook in the cubicle. calum turned on the shower and michael clinged to calum as the water was too cold, causing calum to chuckle. his hand made his way to michael's tummy, softly caressing the fading bruise on michael's stomach as calum's brown eyes stared into michael's emerald ones. it was surprising how there wasn't any awkward tension between them.

once michael got used to the coldness, he squeezed some soap onto his palm and lathered it on calum's shoulders. they were very close, maybe even too close despite them not being 'a thing' anymore. but both didn't care as they still in love with each other.

;

"calum?" michael squeaked out as calum guided him to his car.

"yes, kitten?" calum hummed, and michael's heart fluttered at the pet name as calum didn't call him kitten since they broke up.

"am i pretty?" michael questioned as they got into the car, driving off to calum's house.

"of course you are. you're very pretty." calum responded, kissing the back of michael's hand whilst he focused on the road. "why do you ask?"

"just to make sure you still think the same." michael whispered, fiddling with his fingers.

"baby boy, what makes you think i would ever change my mind on how beautiful you are?" calum asked, briefly glancing at michael.

"people change easily, cally. the night changes very fast." michael murmured, frowning slightly.

"well i haven't changed a damn thing about what i think about you or how i feel about you." calum spoke, his thumb rubbing soothing shapes onto the back of michael's hand. "i know we're still not together after these six weeks, but i still love you, michael. i hope you still do too."