Ice and Flames

Angel P.O.V

I was trying to read Jade's mind but I got nothing. Silver said she was a shield. What is that? What does it mean? I'll ask Silver later.
Anyways we were trying to soak in the new information about the possibility that Ry might be alive. Nudge's vision, the way she described it was what I thought was bonkers but when I read her mind she was telling the truth. I could see images flashing through her head. It was what she saw.
Then, I had an image. It was a girl in chains. She had wings. She was fighting to get out of the chains, the skin on her wrist rubbed raw. Blood streaming down her arms.
Another scene flashed, the girl was on a table, an operating table. She was screaming. They were injecting her with something, an ice blue liquid. She stopped screaming. Her veins on her hands turned black and it spread up her arms. Her veins were black on her neck and then her eyes turned cold. A silver-white.
She started to morph, into... The vision stopped.
I crumpled to the floor feeling like ice. Then everything went black.

Max P.O.V

I wasn't able to take it in. The possibility that Ry, our Ry, could be alive.
Then, I saw Angel crumble to the floor. "Angel!" I screamed. Not even thinking about the fact I yelled out her actual name. I ran to my sweet little Angel. I picked her up and saw the Flock out of the corner of my eye. Jade came running in with Banshee and Silver on her heels.
"I heard someone scream! What hap-" Jade began. She looked at Angel. "She's ice cold." She said. I looked at her. "How-" "Never mind that, Banshee go find blankets" Jade said cutting me off.
"Max, I'm gonna need you to hand her to me." Jade said trying to calm me. It wasn't working. What is happening? First Nudge, now Angel, my baby, the flock's baby.
I hesitated but I handed her Angel. Nudge was comforting Gazzy, they were both crying.
"What happened?" Iggy asked knowing that he was anxious to know what happened to Angel. I explained what happened. Iggy's been quiet lately. I see him talking to Gaz and Fang but that's pretty much it. He's been really upset about not being able to see lately, maybe it's because so much is happening. I wish, oh God I wish I could fix it.
Ry came back in the room half an hour later that really felt like an eternity. I darted out of my seat. "She's okay, she's awake now and her temperature's back to normal. She needs to rest though." Jade said adjusting her sunglasses so they wouldn't fall off.
I ran into her room. She was pale but other than that she looked normal, well as normal a mind reading bird-kid can be.
I sat down beside her. She had fell back to sleep. I picked her up and started cradling her. I didn't care she was seven, she will always be my baby. "Angel?" I whispered in her ear. Her eyes fluttered open. She smiled her sweet little smile that I love so much, "Hi." She said. I kissed her forehead.
"What happened?" I asked. "I saw a vision, of Ry. She was being tortured and the Whitecoats did something to her." She said sobbing. "It's okay, sweetie. If she's alive, I will find her." I promised. She nodded and went back to sleep.
I did the one thing that could make me feel better, that could free me from my thoughts. Fly.
I was flying. I can assure you, flying is just a s cool as it sounds. The wind in your hair, the air, just everything is amazing. I was diving in the air, slicing through the wind like an arrow.
Keep your eyes open. Protect the Flock and the others for me.
Oh great, it's the voice. Note the sarcasm. Wait, you mean to tell me you don't have a voice in your head that bosses you around? Well you can buy one at Walmart along with Ari's wings.
I'm not the voice. The voice in my head started to sound more feminine.
'What?' I thought back, and of course no answer.
I sighed. I started flying back, wondering what was going to happen. Should we leave?
I made it back and was welcomed with flames. I saw the Flock, Jade,Banshee, and Silver running out of the fort. Everybody was out, except Angel. She was asleep when I left. I landed pretty far from the fort and ran to everyone.
"What happened?! Where's Angel?!" I yelled to Fang. I'm giving up on keeping our names secret from these people. He looked back to the fort and was about to run in but saw Jade running back first.
She ran into the flames. Two minutes later she was running back with Angel in her arms along with three backpacks. Angel wasn't burned and neither was Jade by the look of it. She gently laid Angel on the sand. Angel started coughing and I knelt down beside her rubbing her back. How did Jade run so fast?
We walked to a hotel and got one room with two beds, a bunk bed, and a couch. It had a small kitchen and a bathroom along with a TV. Jade checked the bags and was relieved to find her locket. She said it's the only thing from her past she wants to remember. I didn't bother asking anything else.
The boys got one bed and the girls got the other. Banshee took bottom bunk and Silver took top. I offered to take the couch but Jade kept saying she would, so I'm sharing with Nudge and Angel.
Gazzy, Iggy, Nudge, Angel,Total, and Silver went to sleep. Total has been way to quiet lately, I'm guessing he misses Akila. I'm guessing your wondering how we kept his wings hidden, we put one of those doggie coats on him.
I took my jacket off and threw it on the floor. It's been five hours and Jade hasn't said a word. "What's up?" I asked her. She looked up at me from where she was sitting in a chair. She shrugged. She got up and walked to the kitchen. When she walked back, her jacket got caught on the counter revealing a singed area of her shirt with a blood stain on it.
"Jade!" I gasped. Banshee came over and saw what I was seeing. She gasped. "Why didn't you tell me?" Banshee asked which sounded more like a demand. She pulled Jade to the bathroom and slammed the door shut. Shockingly not waking the others. Fang was staring at me and I blushed. He sat down on the boy's bed. "Good night, Max." He said. He laid down and fell asleep.
Banshee came back out of the bathroom and grabbed gauze and bandages. She walked back to the bathroom.
Five minutes later Banshee walked back out with Jade with a patched up burn. Jade sat on the couch looking like she saw a ghost. Banshee gave Jade an ice pack. Banshee looked at Jade who was looking at her feet and sighed. She shook her head and walked to her bed.
      After Banshee was asleep, I sat next to Jade and talked to her.
      "I'm sorry about the fort." I said sympathetically. She looked at me. "It's okay. We knew it wouldn't last." She responded sighing. I stared at her knowing what to say. Me, the great Maximum Ride, is speechless.
       "We should probably leave in a few days..." She said clenching onto her locket.
"Nice locket, what's in it." I asked. She looked at it and smiled. I still couldn't tell what it said on the front. "My...Family." She responded.
        The next morning I woke up and everybody else was awake. Banshee was changing Jade's bandage in the bathroom. Angel and Silver are playing with Total, giving him an undignified belly rub. Nudge is watching TV and Ig and Gaz were making a new bomb.
        I walked over to Fang who was packing up bags.
        "Hey." I said sitting beside him. "I think we should go check the Fort and try to find anything that survived the fire." He whispered. I nodded. I pecked him on the cheek and started packing.
         I love you Fang. I thought.

A/N: Sorry it took long. Hope you like it.