Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 02 | Bad Habits

WAKING UP IN my room feels a lot better than waking up in the hospital, that's the first thing I establish upon opening my eyes the next morning

WAKING UP IN my room feels a lot better than waking up in the hospital, that's the first thing I establish upon opening my eyes the next morning. There are no blinding white lights, no strange voices, the mattress is a lot comfier, and it's private. I sit up slowly, sighing and running a hand through my hair.

I do a scan of the bedroom, looking over every detail, hoping that maybe I missed something yesterday, and there really is something in here that will help jog my memory. But the room looks just as unfamiliar as it did before. I'm not sure what I was expecting. Nothing changes overnight.

Extracting myself from under the sheets, I walk across the floor and pull the door open quietly, making for the bathroom. I tiptoe down the creaky stairs, not wanting to wake anyone. Once I reach the bottom, I peek in the open doors of the hallway, trying to remember exactly where it is.

Finally, I spot the familiar oak pattern of the bathroom door, and head inside, sighing with relief. After finishing and washing up, I look in the mirror, studying the face that stares back at me once more. I wonder how long it will take me to get used to my reflection. I tilt my chin, turning my head, examining it from all angles.

I try out several smiles, but all of them feel horribly fake and tight. The only way my expression looks okay is if I'm completely emotionless.

Absentmindedly, my hand goes to my side, thinking of the secret wound no one has told me about. I make a mental note to research how to care for stitches as I search through the medicine cabinet for some painkillers, popping two and swallowing them down with water from the sink. Once I'm finished, I twist the doorknob, opening the door to leave the bathroom.

I stop short when I see Parker in the hallway, and he freezes in his tracks. He swallows when he sees that it's me, shooting me an apologetic smile that I don't return. Instead, I fold my arms, narrowing my eyes in a glare.

He raises his eyebrows, the smile slipping off his face.

"Okay," he starts, "that is definitely an Allie look. Are you sure you're not just pretending to forget everything?"

I remain deadpan, unamused. "Positive."

Parker chuckles quietly. "Must be muscle memory. You were always the master of giving people looks that could kill."

I lower my gaze to the floor. There's a silence as I swallow, and I meet his eyes again as he sighs.

The amused look has vacated his face, replaced by one of defeat, his brown eyes pleading with mine. "I'm sorry about what happened yesterday."

"I am too," I say firmly.

His dark eyebrows pull together as he shakes his head. "Don't be." He pauses, running his tongue over his lips briefly. "It's my fault. Just... forget about it."

Scoffing, I raise an eyebrow. "Is that a joke? I already have amnesia."

He's silent for a few before he processes my words, exhaling a laugh, and I feel my own lips twitch. The movement draws his eyes, causing my pulse to quicken.