Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 25 | Euphoria

I FOUND MASON at the police station

Apparently he'd gone there after being unable to find me anywhere, or reach me by phone. The sight of him sitting across from an officer was my breaking point, and I plunged into hysteria, launching myself into his arms. It took a good while before I was able to speak.

Since then, I've recounted the details of what happened over and over, and my throat is sore from all the talking, my mind slowly becoming numb. I shut down a little while ago, refusing to speak anymore, much to the chagrin of the Pender Falls Police Department.

Mason sits next to me, his jaw pulled tight. The cops soon learned I was unwilling to enter the interrogation room unless he could come with me, so they were willing to compromise. Since then, he's been alternating between staring at me for long periods of time, and avoiding a mere glance in my direction at all costs. He's heard me say the same thing so many times it must be burned into his brain.

When we finally get the go ahead to leave, I keep my eyes down, Mason's hand on the small of my back. Police have been dispatched to search for Zoe, but for now, her whereabouts are still unknown. And after Mason finally confessed what happened the first time she attacked, an investigation into Dylan and James was put forward as well.

The officers weren't happy about how long we've kept our silence, and they weren't exactly huge fans of our means of attaining the footage from the hospital, but there are more pressing matters to attend to at the moment.

We nearly make it out of the room when a voice calls out to me.

"Ms. Castillo," a woman says, standing from her desk, clutching a corded phone in her hand. "You have a call waiting. From your mother."

I glance at Mason, and he nods, his eyebrows furrowing. Walking over to the officer, I take the phone into my hands timidly, claiming the open seat she motions to next to her desk, and Mason hovers behind it. Swallowing, I place the phone to my ear, my fingers shaking.

"Hello?" I say.

"Allie," Sofia breathes, and I can hear the tears in her own voice. "Thank God you're alright!"

I don't know what to say, unsure of what the appropriate thing is to tell your mother after you've nearly died at the hands of who she thought was your best friend. Sofia seems to be speechless too, if her heavy silence is any indication. Her voice starts and stops several times, her words unfinished, and it's strange to witness her this way.

"Why didn't you tell me about any of this?" she asks, her voice incredulous and emotional. "I would've called the police, and transferred you to a new school, and—"

"It's complicated," I murmur, squeezing my eyes shut and breathing deeply. I used to believe she was deliberately playing a part in hiding the truth from me, and once Mason told me what really went down that night, it became painfully clear that the Hendriks family would do whatever they could to spin the truth in their favour.