Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 07 | Bite

YOU'RE DEFINITELY A wild card, Castillo

For some reason, Parker's words ring in my head the next day, despite it being a while since he said them to me. There had been amusement in his voice as he spoke, maybe a hint of fondness, but I'm starting to wonder if it's such a good thing to be so unpredictable.

Kicking up fallen leaves, I walk down the sidewalk, approaching the front of the house. The past couple of days, I've taken up walking to and from school. It feels good to not have to rely on anyone but myself for a brief part of each day. It gives me time to think, uninterrupted.

Wild card.

A quiet, bitter laugh escapes me as I shake my head. I wonder if Parker even knows the half of it.

Arriving at the front door, I stand on my tiptoes, reaching up to grab the house key from beneath the flower pot. I unlock the door, letting myself in, and sigh as I slide off my backpack. Things were tense at school today. I still felt sore at Zoe over our conversation outside of the school yesterday, and it seemed my displeasure threw a wrench in the dynamics of our whole group.

I pause for a moment in the midst of slipping off my jacket, a frown creasing my eyebrows and pursing my lips. Rerouting my path, I pull it back over my shoulders, heading to the dining room. I reach the French doors leading to the backyard, and pull them open, exiting the building.

My shoes are met with lush green grass, mixed with dried leaves, rustling slightly. I hesitate just outside of the door as Scout looks up from across the yard, her black and white head perking up, her chain jingling from the movement. Once she sees it's me, she gets up on all fours.

I nearly turn and go back inside, remembering the way she jumped on me when I first came home. But she doesn't deserve to be chained up all day out here just because she doesn't like me. If everyone who didn't like me had to be kept away from me, the halls at school would be practically empty.

So I stay. I straighten my posture, but try to soften my features, quickly realizing I have no idea how to do that. My hands rest on my thighs nervously and I take a deep breath. "Hey, Scout," I say, seeing her ears twitch.

Taking a few slow steps toward her, I feel my heartbeat in my chest, both of us sizing each other up. Finally, I stop, still staying a safe distance away, out of reach of the farthest extension of her chain. She hasn't moved, hasn't taken her eyes off me.

I sink until I'm sitting down in the grass, crossing my legs and resting my hands on my knees. "You're not so scary, are you?" I say, mostly to reassure myself, rather than the dog.

Her dark gaze is unflinching, and I do my best to not be intimidated.

Dropping my eyes, I think for a moment, a gentle breeze toying at my hair. "I hate this," I say after a long silence, surprised to hear my voice break so easily. My breathing is shaky, and I blink at the onslaught of tears behind my eyes. "Nothing makes sense. I don't know what to do."