Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 10 | Furtive

TORRENTIAL RAIN ARRIVES in Pender Falls on the same night as Zoe's party

It comes down in sheets, soaking everything in sight, making for low visibility and blurred headlights, especially with the added cover of nightfall. However, this does not deter what seems like the entire high school population from making an appearance at JP's Roller Rink.

As it turns out, the Hendriks family has quite a bit of money in their hot little hands, and Zoe thought nothing of dipping into their savings and extracting enough to rent out the rink for the evening. It seems she really is damn good at throwing parties, despite my numerous attempts to derail her from following through with her plans.

The place is decked out in balloons, several of them shaped as letters to spell out Welcome Back, and a whole lot of glitter, as far as the eye can see. From the vases filled with flowers on the food table, to the bowls filled with party snacks, everything sparkles.

She even went so far as to adorn both of our faces with a spattering of glitter beneath our eyes, making us look ethereal and otherworldly. The moving strobe lights also contribute to this, and the whole night feels somewhat like a hazy dream.

As I follow Zoe, I can't stop my eyes from drifting in Parker's direction every once in a while, seeing him standing and chatting with Audrey, a glass of punch in his hand. Zoe thought it would be a good idea to invite my family, and Sofia and Clark are milling about somewhere as well.

This particular time that my eyes happen to wander over to Parker, he pulls his gaze from Audrey, and it lands squarely on me. We haven't spoken properly since he bandaged my hand last week. I believe what he told me. And there's a large part of me that wants to put the past behind us, and accept his friendship, but I don't know if that's possible.

"Allie."

Zoe's sharp voice snaps me out of my trance, along with her hand gripping my arm, pulling me to an abrupt halt. I flinch, looking straight ahead of me to narrowly avoid colliding with another skater.

I look at her sheepishly, grateful she prevented the accident from happening. "Thanks."

"You've been spacing out a lot tonight," she replies, raising an eyebrow.

"Sorry," I say. "I'm not sure where my head is." But even as I say it, my eyes jump over to the spot I last saw Parker, only to find that he's vacated the area.

"Right here." I hear a low voice behind me as hands are placed on my skull suddenly, gently pressing in, causing me to startle once more, and kicking up my heart rate. "And looking lovely as ever."

I duck slightly, slipping out of James' grasp, turning around to glare at his face as he grins down at me. "That hurt," I mutter. "Also, you nearly gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry, doll," he chirps brightly, folding his arms. "I got a little carried away."

"You're telling me," Dylan mumbles angrily, giving James a shove on the shoulder.