Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 22 | Undone

I'M BREAKING

I'M BREAKING.

I'VE broken many times already, and despite how much each time feels like it'll be the last, I'm still falling apart all over again. After another sleepless night, this is the conclusion I come to once morning rolls around. Hurting Audrey has made my heart shatter into a million pieces, though it's not like it was entirely together, even before all of this. I suppose she's better off without me, anyway. Everyone is.

My eyes burn when I finally drag myself out of bed, my head aching and my stomach sick. I've had all night to process what went down yesterday, but I don't feel any better about any of it. I'm desperate to apologize to Audrey, to get on my knees and plead with her to not look at me with burning hatred in her eyes, the way she did yesterday, but I know that's not fair. She's allowed to hurt, and she's allowed to be angry. I need to give her space, and time to heal.

I suppose it's a good thing, because it allows me to focus on Dr. Meyer, and the threat he poses to both Mason, and myself.

That's the other thing I spent the night obsessing over—my impending death.

The moment I get dressed, my fingers trembling as I pull on my clothes, I glide down the stairs, forgoing breakfast and heading straight for the front door. Grabbing the car keys from the rack, I figure now's as good a time as any to try out driving for the first time since I've come home from the hospital. Double checking to make sure my cell phone is secured safely in the pocket of my coat, I exit out into the damp, morning air. The sky overhead is angry and dark, despite the early hour, and I hastily get into the car after unlocking it, wanting to escape the inevitable downpour.

Once inside in the car, I take a deep breath, trying to remember how exactly to do this. Key in the ignition, foot on the brake, shift into reverse. Soon enough, I'm sliding out of the driveway, a brief smile of relief gracing my lips. After I make it onto the street, I head straight for the Byrne house. I know Mason won't be happy about my unexpected visit, but this can't wait.

I turn onto Mason's street, and after parking the car a short distance away from his building, I fumble around in my pocket for my cell phone. Dialing his number, I place the phone to my ear and watch his house from my place across the street. It rings seven times before he picks up, and I assume he must've been sleeping.

"Alina—"

"I'm outside," I blurt, cutting him off. "Can we talk?"

He makes a noise of disbelief, and when he speaks, his voice sounds groggy. "What's going on?"

"It's important," I urge. "Should I come in or should we meet outside?"

"Okay," he says, sighing. "Come inside."

"Okay," I say, ending the call before he can say anything else.

Shoving the phone back into my pocket, I exit the car, jogging across the street and up the stairs of his front porch. The front door opens, and through the second screen door, I see the sleepy frown on his face, his hair mussed with sleep, just like last time. If I wasn't so distressed, I would find it endearing.