Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 15 | Charade

NOTE: for anyone having trouble with the chapters (sentences are incomplete/sections are being repeated), try removing the book from your library and adding it again! everything looks fine on my end, so i think that will resolve the issue! thank you and enjoy xx

MORNING COMES AFTER a night of staring at the dark ceiling, wide awake. I only allowed myself to fall asleep in short bursts, jerking awake before I could completely drift into subconsciousness.

When it's finally an acceptable time to get out of bed, I eagerly sit up, a strong twinge pulling at the newly stitched area of my side. My fingers graze over it absentmindedly, remnants of the nightmare still floating around in my brain. My nose is blocked up, my eyes watery, and I assume I have my activities in the rain yesterday to thank.

After dressing, I head downstairs, expecting to fix myself some breakfast in solitude. Instead, I find Audrey.

She's sitting at the island, eating a bowl of granola and yogurt, already showered and dressed, looking fresher than I've seen her in a while. I can't even remember the last time I saw her outside of her bedroom. She looks up when I enter, giving me a smile.

"Morning," she greets, looking a little sheepish under my gaze.

"Morning," I echo slowly, voice lower and more hoarse than I expect, eyebrows furrowing as I go to open the fridge. "I didn't expect to see you up and about this early."

She gives a casual shrug, though she looks down. I take out a jug of juice, pouring it into my glass, before taking a seat next to her. "It was good to talk to you yesterday," she confesses. "It made me feel a little better."

I give her a relieved smile, grateful that her spirits have perked up. "I'm glad. You look great."

"Thank you," she says sincerely, her eyes running over my own appearance, before her face clouds over in concern. I try to look away, but she catches my chin in her hands, examining my features. "I wish I could say the same about you. You kind of look like you got hit by a bus."

Choking out a pitiful sounding laugh, I pull out of her grasp gently, her concern making me feel both warm inside and guilty, the same tug I feel whenever she's nice to me. There's a part of me that wishes she still hated me, wishes we still didn't get along so it would make all of this easier. At least I've severed my ties with Parker now, and it's one less thing to worry about it.

"Gee, thanks," I say wryly.

She holds her hands up in surrender, raising her eyebrows. "Hey, I'm not judging. I've looked even worse lately." She pauses, frowning slightly. "Is everything okay though?"

"I'm fine," I lie, shrugging nonchalantly. "Just didn't get much sleep, and my head feels like it's full of rocks."

She blinks. "Yeah, that doesn't sound fine." Reaching over, she places a hand on my back, rubbing it gently. "Breakups are the worst," she murmurs sympathetically.