Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 14 | Terror

I CAN ONLY sit in stunned silence for a few moments

My mouth still hangs open, a word stuck on the tip of my tongue, and I slowly lower the phone, setting it back down on my desk. A breath of surprise fans over my lips as my eyebrows begin to crease in a frown. I blink a couple times, wondering if the last few minutes actually happened.

Leaving my desk, I turn away, heading for my bedroom door wordlessly, my face feeling stiff from the tears. A pile of white catches my eye and I remember the diary. Not wanting to leave it out in the open, I pick it up, dusting off the cover before tucking it away in my nightstand drawer for safe keeping.

Taking another deep breath, I toss my hair behind my shoulders and leave the room, making my way down the stairs. Once I reach the dining room, I tiptoe toward the window, trying to remain out of sight and behind the curtain. Beyond the rain-splattered glass, I see a pair of gleaming headlights a short way down the street, lighting up the dark, and I assume the caller is sitting in that car.

Pursing my lips together, I stare at the glow for several moments longer, before whirling around and walking quickly to the front entrance. I reach for Audrey's raincoat, slinging the hood over my head. I slip my socked feet back into the damp shoes, sure that I'm just begging to wake up with a cold tomorrow.

"Where do you think you're going?" The sharp voice behind me causes me to freeze, my eyes closing in chagrin.

Sighing, I turn around slowly to face Sofia. Her arms are folded tightly over her chest, and Clark stands a short ways behind her, in the kitchen, looking mildly apologetic.

"I thought I told you to go to your room," she says pointedly.

I raise an eyebrow, shrugging. "I went. It was great, thanks for the suggestion."

Her glare is enough to stop me from shooting off another witty remark. "I left something in Zoe's car," I say, sighing as I build onto the lie I already told her earlier. "She's just dropping it off."

"Fine," she says begrudgingly. "But be quick. This isn't an excursion, and you're still in trouble."

I refrain from saying anything more, not having the energy to be civil, merely nodding before pulling the door open, exiting out into the cool air. It feels quieter out here, the patter of the rain significantly gentler than the last time I was outside, and everything feels still, and ominous. A car drives by, tires gliding through the water, and the sound is almost soothing; a reminder that I'm not entirely alone out here.

Taking a breath, I walk down the drive, keeping my eyes riveted to the headlights. I stick my hands into my pockets, lowering my head slightly and feeling my shoulders hunch. Despite the situation, I feel relatively calm. So many things have happened today, I feel like I'm prepared for anything and everything. How could it possibly get worse?

I'm nearly to the passenger door now, and I swallow, taking a moment to register how incredibly stupid I must be to get into a random car at night, just hours after having my worst fears of attempted homicide confirmed. Shaking my head in dark amusement, I reach for the handle pulling it open and slipping inside.