Till Death Do Us Part

Graylan's POV 

"Where are we going?" Isa asked for the hundredth time since we entered the car. My grip on the wheel tightened, and I could feel the blood draining from my face as we got closer. I took deep breaths, but it wasn't helping. I hadn't been there since the day. November 30th. I was only seven. That was the day our entire family changed. 

"You'll see when we get there." I informed her, recognizing the gloomy trees that lined the roads and taunted me. My heart started racing, and I didn't know what I was more nervous about at this point. Seeing her again, or showing Isa who I really am. What's really happened to me. Maybe she would hate me when she found out why I didn't want to be treated. Maybe she would run away and never turn back. I couldn't lose her. Not like I've lost everyone else.

I could feel myself becoming flushed as my car pulled up to the front gate. I could hear Isa's jaw drop, and I knew this wouldn't end well. "Graylan-" She started but I shook my head.

"This is hard enough already." I informed her, parking the car and getting out, opening her door before facing the rows of stone. The graves that lined these fields. I took a deep breath and felt her hand grab mine. I instantly calmed down at her touch, and sent her a small smile which she returned, squeezing my hand and pulling herself against me. "Let's go." I told her. Although I hadn't been here in over eleven years, I knew exactly where I was going and let my feet bring me there.

I walked past dying flowers left at the graves, and mourning people when I finally reached my destination. Her grave was at the very back near the river. She'd always loved the water. My heart clenched as I saw the words written across it. 

"Helen Dorlan. 1967-2002. Beloved mother and wife.' I always hated those words. Beloved mother and wife. They were on every dead women's grave, and my mother wasn't like all of the dead people. She was taken away too soon. Far too soon. I sat in front of the stone, crossing my legs before I felt Isa take a seat next to me. "Graylan-" She started again, her silky voice making my ears ring with happiness. "Tell me about her." She finished. 

"I don't know where to begin." I informed her truthfully. "She was a baker at the local shop ever since she was a teenager. She loved to bake, and she refused to do anything else. When other kids got cakes from the store; I would get home made ones. She made the best cakes in town, and everyone knew it. She would always bring a smile to people's faces just by saying 'hello.'" I said, smiling at the memory.

"When I saw six, my brother Brent and I were playing on our game cube." I told her.

"You have a brother?" She interrupted quickly, her eyes full of interest. 

"Yea. When he moved away for college, that was the last of him. I haven't seen him in over three years." I told her. She nodded and I continued. "My dad came home with my mother, and I could tell things were wrong. She looked pale, and he looked pissed. He was holding a bottle of Jack Daniels and she was yelling at him to put it away. She didn't want him setting a bad example for us." I said. I could picture that day as though it were only yesterday.

"They yelled for a few more hours and then he threw the bottle at Brent and I. Thankfully we ducked, but that just made Mom more angry. She yelled at him some more and he said that he hoped her leukaemia killed her." I murmured, looking into her eyes to see if she was following. She looked sad, but I knew she could see where I was going with the story.

"That was how Brent and I found out. His drunk slur. It turns out she was already so far progressed that only extensive treatment could fix her." I said, my eyes on her name Helen Dorlan the entire time. "We couldn't afford it." I mumbled.