Into the Woods

When they had buried themselves deep enough into the woods River began working on the fire having been the one most exposed to the wilderness on his own.

"Good little explorer River building us a fire," Corey laughed.

"Shut up Corey or I'll set the fire on you," River threatened.

That only made Corey laugh more and say, "As if."

Once the fire was lit they all huddled around it and Corey pulled out a cigarette and dipped the tip into the fire before placing it in his mouth.

"You all want one?" He asked after taking a long draw of smoke.

"No way," Jerry cried.

"I'm allergic," Aleka joked.

"No thanks," Wil replied.

"I'm good," River added.

"God you guys and girl are all a bunch of pussies," Corey huffed, "this is what real men do, and sophisticated women do," Corey argued.

"My mother and sister both smoke, my mother was a laundress and bartender, and my sister is probably living on the street inside a cardboard box, they're very sophisticated so again, I'll pass," Aleka assured.

"Come on Wil, give it a try, break your squeaky clean image," Corey said flicking a cigarette at him.

Wil looked at it and then at Aleka who raised her eyebrows. Quickly he dipped it into the fire lighting the end and took a breath of it in quickly coughing it out.

"Jesus Corey that's disgusting," Wil stated.

"Just keep trying, you'll get used to it, then it will feel right at home in your lungs," Corey replied.

"Your turn Jerry," Corey hummed handing an already lit cigarette to him.

"Ah I don't know Corey, don't think it's for me besides, don't think I should at my age," Jerry coughed.

"What are you talking about? I started at nine," Corey frowned.

Jerry stared at the cigarette for a good ten seconds before Corey shouted, "Come on Jerry!"

Jerry quickly took it and impulsively took a hit before ending up in a large coughing fit, "Ah that's terrible!"

"Like I said it's a slow burn, you get used to it, and soon enough you like it, and don't want to live without it."

"You mean addiction?" Aleka stated.

"I'm not addicted I could quit whenever I fucking want," Corey shot out.

"That's what everyone says," Aleka said crossing her arms over her knees.

"That just leaves you two then, River you gonna make Aleka a single?" Corey asked offering a cigarette to him.

River's brows drew together glancing at the other boys and then Aleka before taking it and huffing, "Why not?" He took a puff of smoke and coughed a bit and said, "Yeah that tastes like shit."

"You're all idiots," Aleka said rolling her eyes.

"You sure you don't want to give it a try?" Corey offered again.