Wait and See

When Aleka woke up it was eight o'clock, she felt the warmth of River's body beside her which was expect but what she didn't expect was to feel his chest underneath her head, and his fingers stroking her hair.

She leaned into it a bit and listened to the gentle thrumming of River's heart beat beneath her ear and pressed closer. It seemed almost impossible, they were already so close, and she knew she should feel uncomfortable about the closeness, she and Wil had never been this close, but rather than feel uncomfortable she felt perfectly safe in his arms.

With River he always seemed so careful, he touched her more often than the other boys it seemed but they always seemed such gentle and careful touches. He never grabbed onto her too hard without first touching her gently and gaging her response.

Just from the past couple days she felt secure that he respected her in a way that other boys just didn't. He didn't need to be shown what strength she had he seemed to see it straight off.

Aleka glanced up at him a bit and saw him staring ahead almost in a daydream while his fingers continued to stroke her hair.

She felt better for the most part, her headache had gone away and while she was absolutely still sore it was at least bearable now.

"River," she whispered calling his attention.

He looked down a bit surprised and almost embarrassed, his fingers stopped moving through her hair and his cheeks were red. She could tell he was trying to make his hold on her seem less than what it was and create distance in the most unnoticeable of ways, but it was almost impossible given that her own arm was entirely wrapped around him.

"Hey," he said, "you sleep well?" He asked.

"Yeah, really good actually," Aleka commented, "how long have you been awake?" She asked.

"Erm...two hours maybe," he shrugged.

"Did you have a nightmare?" She asked.

"No, I didn't," he answered.

"You know you can tell me if you did," Aleka replied.

"I know, but I didn't. I just woke up I suppose," River shrugged.

"Do you feel better?" She asked reaching up at pressing her hand against his forehead. She couldn't tell if her hand was cool or he was warm or what temperature they each were, but he felt like he had cooled down.

His eyes shut when she touched his forehead, her hand moving back through his hair before falling back down.

"Yeah, I feel better. Do you?" He asked looking down at her.

She smiled and nodded, "Yeah, headache and fever are gone I think, just a bit sore still I think," she commented.

"Yeah, me too," he said.

"Then I'll get off you," she laughed beginning to move.

"No," he said a little quickly before turning red, "I mean...it's alright, if you don't want to. You don't have to move, you're not hurting me," River said.

Aleka looked at him for a moment observing him, there was something in his eyes that was innocent but a sort of longing.

She nodded and rested back against him, and she felt River almost give a sigh of relief as her weight pressed back down against his chest.