Short Lived

Aleka sat beside Corey and Wil on the bed on the hotel that they had only been gone from a week, but Aleka felt it had been a lot longer.

"So did you decide? About River?" Wil asked.

"Oh, now you're curious, I distinctly remember two people hanging up on me when I tried to discuss this exact subject," Aleka said raising her brows.

"Yeah, cause we knew the only way this decision could be made, was by you," Corey said.

"So did you? Decide?" Wil asked.

"Yes, I did," Aleka smiled.

"And?" Wil asked.

"I'm not telling you before I talk to River," Aleka said.

"Hmm...I can't tell if that's a good sign or a bad one," Corey said.

"Yeah, maybe she doesn't want us to be all supportive and treat him good to soften the heartbreak, cause then he'll know something's up," Wil said.

"Or maybe she's afraid we'll tell him it's a yes and ruin her surprise," Corey said.

Aleka rolled her eyes and said, "Do you know when he's supposed to come back?"

"Oooo... that's a good sign, she wouldn't be in a rush to break his heart," Corey said.

Aleka stood up and said, "I'm going for a walk, it's been an hour and I'm already tired of you two."

Aleka walked out into the hallway and went down to the lobby, when she reached the lobby she walked outside and saw River waving goodbye to his parents before turning and catching sight of Aleka.

Aleka walked over to him and smiled softly, "Long time no see."

"I guess so," River chuckled.

Aleka rocked on her heels and said, "I got that part, so I guess...I have you to thank."

"That's great," River smiled brightly and hugging her to which she easily hugged him back, "Why do you have to thank me?"

"Well I guess you were right, I must have some talent, since I managed to get the part even though I'm a bit young for it. And it's because of you apparently that I had enough romantic experience to draw on to give a convincing performance," Aleka said.

"That so?" River laughed.

"Yeah," Aleka said.

River smiled lightly and there was a beat of silence and Aleka said, "I'm sorry about what happened before break."

"Aleka...you don't need to be, I need to tell you...," he began.

"No, I am, and I'm sorry about not making up my mind either. But the break was good cause I made up my mind...I don't think of you as just a friend, I like you and think you're great, and I want to be with you," Aleka said.

"You do?" River asked.

"I do," Aleka said, "the break was good to think about it all. But River, it really sucked not talking to you. I missed you, and I wanted to call you right after I got the call back, it didn't seem important to tell anyone but you, and I don't want to let you go or just be your friend," Aleka said.

River smiled a bit and then smirked and said, "Say you like me again."

"You already knew I liked you," Aleka said wrinkling her nose.

"No but say it in the way you mean it," River said.

"River I like you, in a way that means I'll be fine if you want to hold my hand, kiss, and be more than just a friend. I'll even let you call me your girlfriend," Aleka said rolling her eyes.