Chapter 14: Betrayal

"Everyone...I want you to know there is someone out on this island." My uncle stood on top of the wooden box that used to be full of the food from the first week. There was a slight bonfire, adding a strange atmosphere. It was almost like a stereotypical witch-hunt atmosphere...but it is supposed to be like that – the hunter is evil. "Safety is our top priority...which is why we're letting you leave if you want to. There is a hunter here, hunting down dinosaurs and making their skin into leather materials and into meat. Our current task and priority is to hunt him down and get justice, however we need a strategy. Claire, Jessie, Zach and I already decided we'd be making one, and we're opening that invitation." He took a deep breath as the group chattered. Zach and I were standing behind Uncle Owen and the box, and Aunt Claire was talking to us, however I wasn't listening and paying attention to the human embodiment of all types of strengths.

"So, if you feel unsafe, if you don't want to be here, if you want to leave...then ride the next ferry. It's coming in about an hour or two so you can get everything together. Just shine the departing sheet if you are going to leave so no one will be left behind. Thank you." He stepped off the make shift podium and walked towards the three of us, his eyes squint with determination.

"Do you guys remember how to get there?" Aunt Claire asked us, making us both nod. "Alright, let's go plan now." Aunt Claire wrapped her arms around us and guided us to the camp.

"Who's going to stay and who's going to go?" I asked her, my arms now crossed around my body in a way to keep me warm. "We can't afford everyone leaving. I'll wait outside to make sure everyone's alright and sticking to their plan." They nodded, and I stalked back out.

Long lines of people fleeing, and I wasn't sure how I was feeling about it. I was mad because these people left these animals to possibly die, I was upset because there are more deaths and more injustice, and I was happy...I was happy they wouldn't be in any more danger. Who knows? They could be shot without the training. My uncle was apart of the navy and since I was young, he was teaching me to defend myself with fighting and guns, life skills and about anything I would need to know, especially dinosaurs. Additionally, he got some of the IT guys to teach me some math and technology and so on.

"Are you really leaving?" I inquired, running up to Ian. I know he was very enthusiastic about dinosaurs and this whole task. He nodded his head, tilting it to the side and looked down sadly.

"Sorry." He sighed, before walking out. That's all he said. No goodbye.

I felt abandoned; I refused to accept that all these people are leaving.

I went over to the sheet and sees everyone's name ticked off, except Zach, Claire, Owen, Lisa, Marc and no one else....Wow. Okay. Again, I'm unsure how to feel.

These people signed up only to give up half way through out the trip! It was ridiculous, especially since all their forms put them as so passionate about this cause, but at the first sign of trouble...of real danger – they leave?

But then again, they probably didn't have training, they have people who they care about and who care about them.

I can't deal with this anymore...

So I stormed into the planning tent.