Chapter 18

She ran, and ran as if her life counted on it, because it did. Despite her many years with cannibalistic dinosaurs, this was the only time she feared for her life. Sprinting, she felt the grass scratch her feet, her arms still bleeding, the blood from dinosaurs and herself marking the trees – she didn't care. She needed to get out of here or back to camp.

Hopefully Zach got her text; hopefully he had his phone with him and not on silent. Hopefully they cared enough to come and get me. I'm not at the Padlock anymore...how can they find me?

Blood marks, right? They're smart enough to trace it. 

I heard his footsteps right behind me, catching me on my trail. I've never heard my heartbeat as loud as I heard it now. It was almost deafening.

To be honest, I have no clue where I am going. I don't even know if I'm heading in the right direction...as long as I get somewhere, it could be the ocean for all I care.

I was jumping over rocks, avoiding twigs.

"How f#cking dare you?" Chase shouted, chasing after me. "How dare you destroy my samples? I'm going to get you, you b#tch!" I could hear my panting loudly, and I wished I brought a way fro them to keep track of me.

His footsteps halted, and I didn't want to slow down to find out why. I took this chance to run faster than I have.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

A sharp pain reached my leg, making me fall down to the ground with a thud. Another sharp pain reached my stomach, making me clutch it in pain. Holy shit, I've been shot. Excruciating pain reached me as I fell to the ground and Chase Orion cornered me, the barrel of the gun aimed straight for my face. I felt as if I was watching this scene from a movie. It's like this wasn't even real.

Until it wasn't.

Uncle Owen appeared, pushing Chase Orion hard enough to have his gun fall to the floor. I leaned back into the tree, feeling the pain shoot through me as if it was in my blood cells. It ran up my whole body, and blood was gushing. I thought I was going to die. Am I going to die? My vision started blurring once more, everything slowly started to become fazy.

Zach ran his way over to me, "Jess...Jess, are you okay?" He shook his hand in front of my face, "Stay with me. Stay with me." His hand moved up to the back of my head, holding my head up as it started to fall down. "Don't close your eyes, come on." His other hand went to cover the wound.

Uncle Owen and Chase Orion were in a serious fight, pushing each other over and both rolling onto the ground. They were throwing punch words as much as they were saying curse words.

My arm lazily moved to the right, reaching for the gun.

I spotted Chase Orion removing another gun from his other holster.

I had a chance to do this. If I fuck up, I could kill my uncle. If I don't try, Chase Orion could shoot my uncle. I need to do this.

My finger went to the trigger.

His finger went to the trigger.

BANG.