Chapter 4

Bethany had walked all the way into to town where she bought some more bread and cheese from the markets, after that she stood breathing heavily at the front door of the island's prison.

I should just walk back to the inn, it is almost noon
But don't you want to see if the rumours are true?
No! ... Maybe... Okay yes but....
Just go, come on!

Bethany hit her head once again trying to ignore the voices in her head. Taking a step she walked into the prison.
It was cold and damp with a smell like a dead ... Something lingering around. She walked down the bricked corridor all the way up to a fat man slouching in a chair.

"Um excuse me" she silently said to the man getting his attention.

"What Ya want!" She grumbled before coughing/hacking.

"I ...uh? Just wanted to see a prisoner, if that's alright?"

"What prisoner!?"

"He was recently put in here, a Stone, Captain Stone"

"The pirate!?" Bethany almost jumped from where she stood, why he was yelling every time he opened his mouth was a mystery.

"Alright ma'am follow me, and keep yer head down, there's some awful people in this place" the man explained before sitting up, grabbing the keys and showed Bethany to a cell where Captain Stone sat in the corner with his hat tilted over his face.

"Oi! Pirate Ye got a visitor!" The man shouted banging the cell bars. The pirate slowly lifted his head, after getting a glimpse of Bethany, he smirked.

"Why, if it isn't that lovely bar maid from last night, how are Ye doin sweet cheeks?" Bethany blushed but did her best to hide it.

"Ya got a minute!" The man said before stomping off back to his slumber no doubt. Bethany took a deep breath before turning towards Stone once again, he was still smirking.

"So, why is it Ye come and visited me?" Bethany didn't answer she just slid the basket of food through the bars into the cell, by the looks of things they don't feed prisoners. The pirate's eyes light up at the sight of the bread, grapes and such, he quickly grabbed the basket taking a bite of the bread.

"Bless ya soul love" she said taking another bite.

"I don't know why I'm even helping, you're a pirate"

"Ye're judgy"

"You're in prison, the perfect consequence for your horrible actions"

"Horrible actions? That's stretching it a bit much"

"You attacked the mayor's wife"

"If that's what ye want to believe then be me guest"

"What do you mean, want to believe? That's what happen isn't it?" Bethany was confused, the pirate just chuckled before eating a grape.

"Are you trying to convince me you're innocent?"

"I don't need to convince ya, I know I'm innocent" 

This pirate is messing with my mind now, he can't be innocent, there's nothing innocent about him
But maybe he's telling the truth? Maybe he is innocent.
But he's a pirate!

"How so?" Bethany finally asked. The pirate snickered at her again before speaking.

"This was just after leaving Ye inn, me and me crew were heading back to the ship when some man run past bumping into me, he happen to drop a ring, didn't look like the diamond type but who am I to judge, soon after that this women and some guards start pointing and yelling that I had stall it... Long story short they threw me in here" the pirate leaned back onto the wall with the same smirk right across face.

"So you are innocent"

"Ye sound so surprised love"

"Well what you trying to tell me, you're a good pirate?" The pirate out of know where broke out in laughter before taking off his hat, he stared at Bethany with an evil grin now.

"Oh no love, there's no such thing as a good pirate" he moved closer towards her, what is he doing!? Bethany thought too afraid to move, suddenly Stone grabbed her hand pulling her closer to the cell bars where she was now staring deep into his deep blue eyes.

"Why did Ye come to see me, obviously it wasn't just to feed me?" Her heart skipped a beat, a chill ran down her spine, what was happening? Why did she really come to see him? The walls were closing in on her, she feel herself moving closer towards him, their lips getting closer and closer.....

"Ma'am times up!!!" The guard shouted, Bethany realised what she was about to do and quickly released her hand from his grip and put some space between them.

"Well goodbye, sorry that you'll be hung for a crime you didn't comment"

"I don't intend to hang tomorrow love" Stone stated sitting back down in the corner of the cell covering his face with his hat.

"What do you...."

"Oi! I said times up, now scram!!!"

"Okay I'm leaving" Bethany said back quickly leaving the prison. As she walked back to the inn his words kept repeating in her head.

"I don't intend on hanging tomorrow" what did he mean by that?