Looks Don't Matter

Summary: Jim gets mad at Mayim for wearing a plunging neckline dress manifesting his overprotectiveness.

Rating: G

Jim was sitting by the study table in Mayim's room. He was waiting for her to come out of the bathroom. She was changing for her guest appearance on America's Greatest Makers. He was driving her to the studio for filming. A few minutes later, she went out wearing a black dress with a plunging neckline, revealing a little more cleavage than what Jim is used to. He arched an eyebrow and she turns to the full length mirror next to her to survey her dress. She couldn't see anything wrong with what she's wearing.

"What?" she asked him when he continued looking at her without saying anything.

"Oh nothing," he said sarcastically, returning his attention to his phone.

"No, seriously, what is it? Is it the dress?" she asked again.

"No. Don't mind me. Wear whatever you want," he replied and got up. "I'll wait in the car."

Mayim scowled at his back and he was gone before she could respond. She looked at her reflection again to check if the dress was something she shouldn't wear. She felt comfortable in it so she just grabbed her black blazer and did some last minute check on how she looks. She went out of the house and found Jim standing by the passenger door. He heard her approaching and he glanced at her once. He opened the door and walked around to the driver's side without saying anything. He started driving.

"You still went with that dress, huh?" he asked, not looking at her. Mayim glanced down her form and tried to see what it was that's getting Jim riled up.

"I don't see the problem," she tells him.

"Of course, you don't" he replied coldly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" she asked, getting a little irritated herself.

"Nothing. Just forget it. You look nice," he said, still not looking at her and focusing on the road.

They arrived at the studio and Jim drove just right outside the main entrance. She tried to kiss him goodbye on the lips, but he turned his head and presented his cheek instead. Mayim frowned at him, but he didn't even look at her. She left the car and headed inside the studio with a foul mood. She met her usual stylists in her designated dressing room and she offered them a smile. They saw through it and asked her what was wrong.

"Well Jim seems to have a problem with my dress. Tell me, is this too much?" she asked them, gesturing at her outfit.

"Well no. It actually looks good on you. I don't think it's too much at all," one commented.

"Well honey, I think it's the neckline," Michael pointed out.

"What? Why?" she asked.

"Well, let's be honest, you don't wear a lot of shirts or dresses with that neckline. You're showing some, girl!" he joked. Mayim looked at him, confused and then at her chest. It's true that this is a little more showy than her normal choices, but she didn't think it was enough to draw attention.

"Well he's being ridiculous then! This is barely showing anything!" she said with indignation.

"Dear, he's your man, of course he'll think that way. He sees any skin that you usually cover up and he'll go nuts. I'm guilty of that with my wife," Michael said.

"Really?" she asks, looking at the mirror behind her.

"I'm telling you," he answered, raising his hands.

They went on with finishing her look for the day and soon, a production assistant called her out to start taping the show. They finished in less than 3 hours and Mayim retrieved her phone to inform Jim. She was expecting him to fetch her from the studio so they can go to dinner together, but was surprised to see a message from him, telling her that she's meeting Melissa and her husband instead. She decided to call him to check what happened instead of replying. He picked up after the fourth ring.