One Last Time

As much as Jim wanted to forget, thinking about her seemed inevitable. For starters, they work together. They've decided to end things between them because they thought it was for 'the best', but clearly they were both having a hard time focusing on a lot of things.

He can see it, in the way she looks at him, that she misses him as much as he was missing  her. He wants to hold her, kiss her, do things with her. The last time they spoke was over a month ago and Jim was finding it harder and harder to bear his longing for her.

Today was the last taping before they go on summer hiatus. It will be a long, three months if he didn't do anything now. He doesn't know anything about her plans for the summer. Then again, he didn't really have any business with her anymore so what was it to him, really.

Jim was alone in hair and makeup when Mayim bursts into the room with Melissa. The girls were laughing but stopped right away when they saw Jim. Melissa felt the tension rise, immediately and looked between the former lovers. She knows about them breaking up and wasn't sure what to do. She waited for Mayim's action instead.

"Hi," Jim started.

"Hello," Mayim answered.

Melissa felt like she was suddenly intruding on them, so making an excuse that she forgot something in her car, she made a hasty retreat and left the two in the room.

Mayim studied the floor, standing awkwardly by the door, while Jim was looking at everything in the room, but at her.

When Jim couldn't take any more of the silence, he cleared his throat and rose from his seat.

"If you need the room, I could just go down," he said, still not looking at her.

She looked up to find him playing with a loose thread at his shirt. She's been avoiding him as much as possible around work, which was a challenge because they were basically in a confined area and had to see each other because of their scenes. They've been nothing but professional, keeping everything cool when playing Sheldon and Amy. But Mayim's resolve was slowly breaking. She hated seeing his face. Not because he hates him; on the contrary, she still has strong feelings for him. It's just that his face is her weakness. One look into those blues, and she's a goner.

"No, I mean, you don't have to leave the room just because I'm here," she replied.

Jim finally glanced at her and just nodded. He reclaimed his seat and Mayim moved to one of the seats at the far end of the room, lined with mirrors.

"Any plans for the summer?" she asked. One of them had to do it eventually.

"Uh... Nothing big."

"You have that movie, though, right?" she asked again; the silence between them was not something she's used to.

"Yes. That's not going to take long. We finish in two weeks, actually."

"Oh," was all she could say.

"And you?" he asked, looking at her through the mirror.

"Uh... nothing big, either."

He was probably aiming blindly, but the thought of not spending the next four months with her was scaring the hell out of him. He just couldn't let that happen.

"Mayim, are you doing anything tonight?" Jim asked.

She stared at his reflection for a while, that it started to make him uncomfortable. There was nothing more that she wanted at that moment, than leave the studio and go off on a faraway land with him. It might not be a wise decision. The ended their affair for a reason. This was not going to end well.