Chapter 17

THEA

Once the initial shock of being a dragon wore off, I realized how cool the entire thing was. I cautiously stretched out my wings, which nearly spanned the room. I could feel a heat in the right side of my chest, opposite my heart. I breathed, and the heat blazed. A little smoke escaped my lips.

"Careful!" Lynn called. "I'd rather not be burned to death."

I chuckled, and the sound rumbled all the way through my body. More smoke came out of my mouth and I closed it quickly, just to find the smoke leaking out of my nose.

"We don't have enough space or time to try flying right now,' Lynn said. "We'll just change you back this time."

I sighed slightly in disappointment and a small cloud of smoke floated to the high ceiling. I bent my head down and Lynn poured the water and pill down my throat.

Smoke and steam mixed around me and then the grays blurred, spinning too fast to distinguish.

I woke up on the floor, Lynn standing over me with a concerned expression. Her face brightened as I blinked a few times. She took a step back and I sat up.

"That was a big transition. I'm sorry. I should have warned you," she said quickly.

I shook my head. "It's ok. I'm kind of getting used to being in constant mortal peril."

Lynn laughed, but it was strained. She offered her hand and I took it. I pulled myself up and a small wave of dizziness washed over me. I swayed and Lynn grabbed my shoulder to steady me. We walked slowly toward the door.

"I wanted to say- I mean- well-" Lynn murmured.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm sorry."

I turned to her quickly in confusion. My head spun.

"I'm sorry for all of this. For doing this to you," she said quietly. "I joined this project when it began and it sounded like a perfectly good idea. The effects of the Fall were just starting to cause real damage. This project was the only visible hope at that point. But things started to go...wrong. I know you've overheard things."

I opened my mouth, maybe to protest. Lynn ignored me and continued.

"There have been others before you. And they're gone now. I hope the same won't happen to you but I'm not in charge and there's not much I can do. But for what I have done, I know a lot of it was wrong and this apology can't fix that but I just wanted you to know that I am so sorry."

"I forgive you," I said automatically.

Lynn looked at me sadly. "Thank you," she whispered.

We reached the door and I cautiously stepped away from Lynn. I was steady enough to walk, so I pulled out my guide stone. I told it to take me to my room, but Lynn interrupted.

"Override. Lab 6."

The device blinked green twice. Lynn gave me a wry smile.

"I'll see you later," she said. "Good luck."

I nodded. I shoved open the door and set the guide stone on the floor. It zipped away and I started following. But for just a second, I glanced back, and right before the door slammed shut, I caught a glimpse of Lynn. She was crying.

A/N

So...an update. Yep. You guys wanted it. So here it is. To be honest, I don't adore this story right now and I'm not sure how to fix it, but I don't mind writing it. I just don't often have time. I'm gonna play it by ear and see how it goes. But thank you to those who commented. This chapter is dedicated to you, @-FrozenFire- and @wolfatemoon