Chapter 13

"Let's get straight to the point," Edmont began. "Of course all of you already know plenty about the Fall."

Ivy snorted. "You think?"

"The government isolating itself was wrong-"

"I had no idea!"

"-and the scientists here agree that it must be stopped. Therefore, it has been our goal for the last twelve years to find a way to take down the government."

"Wait, wait. Let me guess. Us!" Ivy said fake-cheerfully.

"Please refrain from interrupting me when I am telling you how to save the world, Ivy," Dr. Edmont said icily. He pushed another button on his remote and the holograms of us lined up in the middle of the table. "You si- five are our perfect creation to save take down the government. Each of you has a specific purpose."

He pressed another button on the remote. The hologram of Thea stepped forward. "Thea will be the leader of your group. She will be making the decisions and keeping the rest of you from completely ruining the mission." The word Leader appeared under the hologram's feet as it stepped back into the line.

James's hologram stepped up next. "James will be in charge of intelligence, gathering data for the group and coordinating attacks. He will be second-in-command." The word Intel popped up underneath his hologram.

"Missions requiring stealth will be accomplished by Subject 33." The hologram of Cat-girl moved forward. "Though she cannot shift like you can, she can turn invisible at will." The hologram returned to its place and "Stealth" appeared.

My hologram stepped up. "In the last twelve years, we have created more than Shifting. Luke will be in charge of managing your technology, which will be distributed to you soon." My hologram stepped back and the word Tech appeared below it.

Ivy's hologram stepped forward last. "Ivy will be your best fighter, shifted or not, if you encounter any situations in which you need to use force." Ivy's hologram was tagged with "Power."

Edmont set down the remote. "Any questions?"

Ivy raised her hand. "Why should we? The government has nothing to do with most of us. I've been living on my own for years and I'm completely fine. Really, this isn't my problem."

Dr. Edmont picked his remote back up. "I though you might say something like that. Simply put, the reason you will do what we say is because we will kill the final member of your group. We will kill your medic." A shadowy outline of a person appeared next to the other holograms with "Medic" written under it. "I know you wouldn't want him to die again, right Ivy? Luke?" The figure came into focus.

It was Will.