Chapter 23

WILL

Hitting the floor did no good either. I figured that out pretty quickly. I think I broke one of my nails, but I couldn't tell in the dark. It hurt, though.

I had laid my sore hands on the floor, hoping its coolness would be the tiniest bit soothing, when I started to feel the tremors. They built in strength quickly, until my whole body was shaking. I had to clench my jaw to keep my teeth from rattling together.

The floor began to feel rough as cracks opened up in it. My hands slipped and face slammed into the floor. I could taste blood.

The vibrations continued to rattle every bone in my body. My head slammed into the floor again and again.

I pulled my legs up to my chest, scraping them on the rough floor on the way. I wrapped my arms around my knees, trying to avoid the scraped parts but failing. My hands became slick with my own blood.

I tucked my head down, and my forehead smacked into my kneecaps. Some strangled sound forced its way out of my throat, but it was swallowed by the darkness almost before my ears could hear it.

Then, suddenly, it all stopped. I felt nothing but my own body. Shards of floor were no longer driving their way into my skin. The floor as a whole was no longer there. I felt weightless.

Then, somehow, I perceived that I was falling. My chest constricted. My breathing, already quick, became rougher, tearing and my throat with each intake.

My chest felt like it was on fire. With each breath, I pulled more embers into my lungs. Then, all the pain gathered right in the center of my chest before exploding outward to every inch of my body.

I didn't even have breath to scream.

A/N: @awesome_and_amazing gets this chapter. (Thank you!)