Chapter 8

I dragged my eyelids open to find myself in a stone-walled cell with only a single, tiny window set into the dull grey. I let out a soft moan as a jolt of pain coursed through my head. I froze as a voice came out of the shadows of a cell across the cell. My brain was still fuzzy from its recent encounter with the floor, so I couldn't make out the words.

"I didn't know there were more kids here..." I muttered. The voice replied with a sarcastic remark. I heard a quantity of swears, probably directed at the people keeping us here.

"So...whatchu name?" the voice queried. By this point, I had deduced that it was a girl, but nothing more than that. Then a pair of arms appeared out of the gloom, settling on the bars of a cell across from mine. Their owner's face was still in shadow.

"Um...It's Will," I said hesitantly.

One hand reached up and gave me a little salute.   "Hiya Will. Name's Ivy, but call me that in public and you're dead. This here's James-"

Another voice cut in from out of the cell next to me.

"Hey! I can introduce myself. I'm James."

Ivy facepalmed. "So now we're all friends and stuff...only problem's that we're going into "The Maze" in the morning, James."

"What!? You couldn't have told me earlier?"

"I wanted to keep it a surprise," Ivy said sweetly.

"I hate you Ivy."

Ivy laughed. "Nice meeting ya, Will." The arms disappeared as she walked back into the shadows of her cell. I slumped back against the floor and the world faded back to darkness.