Chapter 31

LUKE

Thea and I walked until nightfall. We were searching for a place to set up camp when we found a tiny clearing. Strangely, it seemed someone else had already settled in. A tarp, set up around a large tree to our right made a tent. A little distance away from the tent was a charred heap I assumed had recently been a campfire.

"Do you think-" I started.

"Shhhh," Thea went to put a hand over my mouth but ended up more slapping me across the face because she wasn't looking. "Ah- sorry."

"Do you think there's someone in there?" I whispered as quietly as I could manage, pointing toward the tarp-tent.

"Maybe. Let's find out for sure."

"How do we do that?"

A soft metallic click sounded from behind me.

"Maybe by knocking politely? I certainly wouldn't recommend creeping up on her. She doesn't trust sketchy strangers trying to sneak up on her," a rough voice suggested from behind us. Thea and I turned around slowly. I put my hands up and Thea slowly did the same.

A dark-skinned girl stood, glaring at us, both hands on a small gun currently pointed at my head. She was dressed in layer upon layer of mismatched green and brown clothes. Her heavy combat boots surprised me, considering how quietly she'd snuck up on us. Under an olive bandana, a ponytail of dreadlocks swished behind her as she looked back and forth between us. The gun snapped back and forth similarly.

"So. Who's gonna talk first? Or are you both gonna get shot? I'm up for either but hopefully you have a preference," she continued.

"We...uh..." I started. I glanced over to Thea but she just stared at me and offered no help. "It's a long story?" I started lamely.

"And the award for making me want to shoot you the most goes to you, sir. Thank you for your detailed, convincing story," the girl announced in a sarcastically happy voice. "You wanna try that again?"

"Yeah- I'm sorry- I mean, we were...um..." I stumbled over my words yet again.

Thea finally, albeit quietly, spoke up. "We were kidnapped."

"Well at least that's a start. Keep going, the girl ordered.

A/N: Sorry these chapters keep being so short and infrequent. I'm unfortunately busy and forgetful. :/
dedicated to @mxdanger @cjnerdling @BoomerT2016 @panckake_monster12