Chapter 15

That night, I suddenly awoke to the sound of my door opening and two sets of footsteps entering.

I sat up, squinting in the sudden bright light if the hall. It was Lynn, accompanied by a security guard.

"Thea. Come with me," she said in a hushed voice.

I was about to protest - it was the middle of the freaking night - but I suddenly remembered that if I didn't cooperate, they would kill Will. I stood up and followed Lynn down the hall without a word.

We arrived back at the room where I had first shifted into a fox. Faint moonlight came in through the high windows, barely illumination the large room.

"Edmont decided that the plan needs to be put into action as soon as possible, which means we have to rush the preparations. All of you are strong enough, but it will be much harder to get you ready with so little time," Lynn said.

She pulled several containers out of her pockets. "What I am about to give you could be your biggest asset or a terrible mistake. I'm sorry, there is no other way to do this."

"Lynn," I said. "It's okay. We can do this. Those of us who were strong enough to be shifters, we were meant to be here. We were meant to take down the government and make things right. Maybe Edmont's plan isn't the best, and he's probably not the best person to lead this country afterwards, but we're still doing the right thing."

Lynn smiled slightly. "Never thought I'd be encouraged by you...not after what I've done."

"A friend told me that the only way to keep going in a hard time is to remember the good and keep working toward it. A chance of things turning out right is better than none," I replied.

"Well, let's get to work," Lynn said. She handed me two pills and a water container. "This shift is very different from the rest. The second pill has elements you'll need that your body does not already have. After this, the elements will be stored in your cells, so you just need to use a single pill. Also, this shift has many sides you can use to your advantage, but it is not the best in each category, so leave what you need to to you teammates. You need to trust them."

I nodded and quickly downed the pills. My vision darkened and then brightened. An odd weight settled on my shoulder blades and the base of my spine. I could tell that I was taller, but not by very much.

What the heck? I thought. What in the world am I? Then suddenly it hit me.

A dragon.

They turned me into a freaking dragon.