31

Victoria

It's been almost two weeks since I've been home, and mama's condition wasn't getting any better. Before she was calm about everything but now she was beginning to worry. It's crazy because she was worried about everything and everyone but herself.

"What about all my children? My grand babies?" She cried. "My family."

I grabbed some tissues and wiped her eyes.

I've been trying to be strong for all of us and I had done a good job doing that, but I feel like my heart is breaking piece by piece everyday. She was deteriorating right before us.

Everyone in the room began crying because she was. I just couldn't take seeing everyone like that. I just needed to get out that room so I walked downstairs to the Starbucks and decided to get me something to drink.

I just needed to be alone for a while. I had so much on my mind. My thoughts were in a consistent whirlwind. I didn't know what to feel nor think at this point.

A few minutes later I saw Maddie walk in. She spotted me and walked over. Once she got to me we hugged and she sat across from me.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

I shook my head. "I just needed to get out of there for a few." I sighed.

"Yeah. Me too." She said. "Again, I hope we could rebuild what we had V, since I messed that all up with my bullshit. I wasn't taking my medicine but I promise that I'm better now."

"I forgive you. Besides, we're sisters." I started. "Just take care of yourself. Okay?"

She nodded. "Good. Maybe we could do something soon? All the siblings?"

"Yeah. I would like that."

She smiled and nodded. "Alright. Well I'm going upstairs to see mama."

She got up and Odell was just walking in. They bumped into each other, it was kinda awkward.

"I'm sorry. Hey Odell." She said on her way out.

"Hey Madison." He said before sitting down next to me.

"You alright baby?" He asked.

I shook my head yes and sipped my drink.

"I'm okay, I'm just tired of all of this with my mama. And it bothers me because I can't do anything to save her or help."

"It isn't your fault. You didn't do anything."

"I know. It's just hard to see my mama laid up like that."

"I know." He rubbed my back.

After Odell and I took a ride to my grandmother's house to see what she was up to. Walking up the house you could smell the food cooking from outside. We walked inside and to the kitchen where grandmama was cooking. I hugged her and kissed her cheek. Odell did the same and went to go see the kids.

"How are you grandmama?"

"I'm good." She said.

"Are you coming to the hospital today?"

"I don't know Vic. I just hate to see my daughter laid up like that."

I pulled her into a hug and she hugged me.

"It'll be alright granny." I kissed her cheek.

Mimi

"I think we needed to get out of there for a few and just spend some time together. We haven't done that in a while." I said as we sat down in our chairs.

Maddie suggested that we spend some time together and from the hospital so we went to see a movie.

We were about half an hour into the movie when Danny called.

"I'm in a movie. What's up?" I asked.

"Y'all need to get down here quick. It's mama."

"We're on our way." I put my phone away. "We need to get to the hospital. Quick."

I got up and we all ran out of the theater and to the car. We got in and I started the car.

"Go!" Victoria said.

I made my way to the hospital quickly and parked the car. We ran in and made our way upstairs as quick as we could. We walked into the room and everyone was standing around mama's bed.

"Mama you alright? What's going on?" I asked.

"Baby, it's time." She said.

"What? Don't say that!" I said.

"Even if I do say it, things will be no different. It's time for me to go."

Victoria began crying and Odell comforted her.

"I love you mama." Victoria managed to say through her soft sobs.

"I love you too baby. And I love everyone of y'all in this room." Her voice became softer and her breathing became slower.

"Thank you all for being in my life and making me happy while I was here. I'm grateful for all of you and couldn't ask for anyone else. We will always be family, no matter what. Y'all understand?" She asked.

We all nodded and said Yes.

"Good. Now it's time for me to rest and be at price. Finally, at last I have peace." She smiled.

I haven't seen mama smile in a while and I was happy to see her smile but I was hurt because she was leaving us. "I love y'all." She whispered. About a minute later she took her last breath and then she was gone.

"Noo! Mama come back. Mama!" Victoria cried and broke down.

I began crying and Maddie held me in her arms. Dad comforted Danny while Grandmama cried. I knew she was trying t be strong but I knew it hurt her tremendously on the inside.

"I'm gonna take her home." Odell said while walking out of the room with Victoria.

If you thought Victoria took it hard, wait until Joshua hears about this.