32

Odell

I watched from the church pew as Victoria broke down at her mother's casket. Words couldn't describe how I hurt felt on the inside, not just for me, but for my wife also. It hurt me to see her cry this much. I can't believe that she was gone? But I knew better than to question God.

The funeral ended and we made our way to the cemetery where my mother-in-law would be laid to rest next to her dad. I helped Victoria out of the car and we made our way over to her gravesite. Friends and family gathered around as we stood over her casket.

Mimi and Maddie comforted each other while Josh, Danny, their father, and Michael stood side by side. One of my friends who worked at the prison owed me a favor and I luckily got Joshua to come home for a bit. He was home momentarily because he still had time to serve.

Not once did I see Maddie cry. I could tell that she was trying to be strong for everyone else, her being the oldest. My mom and dad came also came out to support the family as well.

The preacher and some other people shared a few more words and then they lowered her into the ground. Victoria broke down again and I couldn't help but to shed a couple of tears too. Say what you want, but even men cry. I wrapped my arms around Victoria and rubbed her back to comfort her.

Everyone began leaving except for all of us. We stood there for a few minutes before we headed back to the car. I helped Victoria in and grabbed Sonny from my dad and put him in the car. I headed back to Victoria's parents' house for the repast. Once we got there, I parked the car and we got out. Victoria and I went upstairs. She laid in her mom's bed and I laid next to her. The room was quiet except for her sniffing and soft sobbing. She wrapped her arms around me and put her head into my chest. About an hour late she fell asleep and I covered her with a blanket before making my way downstairs.

I seen Danny and Josh on the porch and I made my way outside. I sat on one of the couches and joined in on the conversation.

"Where's Victoria? She cool?" Danny asked.

"She upstairs taking a nap." I ran my hand trough my hair in frustration. "Lord knows she needs the rest."

Joshua sighed. "It just annoys me that I have to go back to Chicago in a few days."

"They're not shortening your sentence?" D asked.

"All depends on my behavior. They said if I keep it up I could be out in a few months. And again, Thanks for bringing me home O."

"No problem."

We dapped and shared a brotherly hug.

"So when are you and Victoria going home?" Josh asked.

"In a few days."

He nodded and we sat inside and talked.

Victoria

I woke up from out of a sleep that was well needed. I laid down for a while, just to let everything sink in. My mama was now gone. I felt empty without her hear. I'm gonna miss her smile, her laugh, everything about her. It's gonna be hard without my mother. We used to talk everyday and we were close. I feel like I can't live without her honestly.

After about 10 minutes I got up and walked into the bathroom. I turned on the light and looked into the mirror. I looked a mess. My hair was all over and my makeup was all messed up. I tied my hair into a ponytail and removed my makeup. When I finished, I walked downstairs and heard everyone in the back. I walked outside and took my seat next to Odell. They were all sitting on the porch.

It was cool out so he put the blanket that was around him, around me. I scooted closer and he kissed my cheek. I smiled and laid my head on his shoulder.

Guess I'll have to accept the fact that my mother is gone.

(Sorry I kept you guys waiting. But I wanted to update early. I have tests tomorrow. Wish me luck!😩🙌🏾)