Chapter 8

By the time I woke up I noticed Mason sitting by my feet. He looked the absolute worse I have ever seen him. Blotchy red eyes and bags under his eyes like he hasn't slept in years. He was a lot paler than usual too. He still hasn't noticed I was awake so, I tried to say something but my throat was so dry I couldn't. Picking up my head a bit, I looked around. I don't remember this room or what happened before I fell asleep. "Holy shit. You're up." Mason whispered. Since I couldn't talk I just nodded my head, but Mason jumped on me like he was falling off a bridge and I was the only thing to save him. I pushed him off and he looked confused, "Oh! Water. Yeah I'll get that." When my throat finally felt ok to talk I simply asked what happened. And he simply looked like he was going to cry. "You've been out for a month. Don't you remember? And the way Aunt Sheila was talking we weren't sure if you were going to make it or not." He said slowly. A month? What the fuck happened? All I remember was a dream I had. All of us were in the wizard world. Our wands were taken and Aunt Sheila with Craig were behind a glass just watching us. Then Lexi and Jane and Abby walked in with their teeth very visible. I noticed growling behind us and the wolf clan was there. All I remember hearing were the words, "Welcome to the fun side. Remember it's fate's choice." It sounded like Craig's boss guy when I got bit by Barry. Before I woke up everything around me went at each other. "I'm going to get the others." Mason said snapping me out of my remembrance. If it's been a month that means it like December or January. Aunt Sheila walked in telling everyone to stay outside for just a second. She reached her hand out like I, myself, was the darkest of all magic. Deliberately putting her hand on me, she faintly smiled. "What's going Aunt Sheila?" I asked her which made her smile disappear. "I didn't want my babies to get involved with this but as soon as I heard you,Savannah, and Mason's name, I knew this was bound to happen. You can never change fate." She sighed deeply. I furrowed my eyebrows slightly confused. "The only good thing is that you have no dark magic within you now. I need to get the others so, I can explain what exactly is going on." She told me. "We should've told them a while back." Craig said shaking his head. "They were too young. Don't argue with me Craig." Annoyance was in her voice. As we all sat on this nice leather sofa bed she began to pace. "Honey use your words nicely." Craig said. She snapped her head towards us focusing on her only born. "Ezra you're good. You're like your father and you'll probably follow in his footsteps. Balancing with the bad and good." She told him. He nodded like he already this. Then she looked at Mason and took a deep breath. "I loved your mom. After all she was my sister and our family was bound to be good. Mason, your traits are a lot like your dad's though. He was the kind to switch if it made him look good. But recently, within this last month you're just like your mom. Good magic. Light magic." "I barely remember them." He said. She just nodded. Then she looked to Savannah and I knew things were going downhill. "Savannah, I didn't know your parents but I knew their legacy. The Eaton's were the only family to pick dark or light. They were one of the wizards to die when the original vampire came in. Protecting you from her. From then on you taught yourself how to live and not rely on anybody but yourself. You will have a choice." Aunt Sheila said taking a seat. "When?" Savannah asked trying not to think on her parents. And that Mason's eyes are burning a hole in her head. "I'll get to that." Aunt Sheila said finally looking at me. She looked as if the words about to come out her mouth aren't real but she knew they were. Taking a sigh she said a simple sentence that took the breath out of me, "Kate your fate isn't pretty." Savannah gasped and my jaw dropped. "Please tell me what you mean." I told her. She looked at Craig, he shook his head to encourage her to continue. "Hudson's were always good. Until your dad made a fatal mistake to marry a mortal. When that happened everything crashed. Eventually nobody trusted the Hudson's. It was a sad thing to watch. Your father worked with Craig. Always good. But marrying a mortal was bound to have the kid enter dark magic." She told me. I took a deep breath. "Are you telling me I'm not even a full wizard? And that my fate is to be a dark wizard?" I said not believing the words. "Yes. In the beginning most half wizards were selling their soul to dark magic so that could be a full wizard. Therefore the Castaways were tired of it and made it as to every half wizard was to be dark." "Wait I thought you said you can't change fate." I told her a bit confused. "Well the Castaways are very powerful and they found the fate of half wizards. No matter what, you'll be dark. I don't know why I'm trying to fight against what will happen to you. I'm terribly sorry it ends this way." She said looking sad. Now I was mad. "If you knew you couldn't change it then why did you even try? Why did you make me miss a whole month of school? Why did you even take me in when I was little? Why didn't you just leave me on the street?" I yelled standing up. "Because you're more than that! Half wizards are more powerful towards their fate than full wizards! I thought if I got rid of the dark magic already in your system, it would show you who you could be." She said. Now we were face to face. "Sheila calm down!" Craig yelled. "Who I could be?! Really? Apparently I'm bound to be bad, then was no point in trying." I yelled back at her. "Don't piss her off Kate. You don't know who she is and what power she has." Craig said. "Oh I know who she is. She defeated the original vampire right? Or how you were one of the 3 who witnessed werewolves come about? And let's not forget how the Castaways abandoned you from the wizard world. Because she was going "dark." Now I hit the nerve. I had no idea how I knew any of that. It's like someone told me to say all of that. Instead of yelling it's like I took the drain out of her. She was completely calm. "You're right. I shouldn't because you can't change fate. And on March 23rd you can forget about ever talking to any of us again because Mason and Ezra are light. Savannah will choose light as well and you? You're going to go dark and become a full wizard." March 23rd? "March 23? What's on March 23?" Mason asked. Aunt Sheila was sweating by now. "March 23rd when young wizards of their 15th year, have to go in the wizard world in the Castaways Hall, and let fate decide. But only 2 days later on March 25th is when half wizards let fate decide." She had a shake in her voice. She looked up from her lap, "We only have 2 more months." "So, I was right about that Bobby guy being bad?" Ezra said suddenly. I rolled my eyes. "Oh yes the Smiths are one of the most powerful with dark magic. They live in the normal world just like all darks because they would put corrupt in the wizard world. When darks are in the normal world their magic isn't as powerful." Aunt Sheila said looking at me. "Tell me everything that happened when you were in that house." I took a deep sigh. That's why the spell didn't work because they're dark. It also didn't work because your dark. That voice. It was the same voice in my dream. Sounded a bit younger though. A male's voice, like a boy who just got done with puberty. I'm not dark. But you are. I can change my own fate. If that's what you believe.

Everyone at dinner was quiet. That voice has been bothering me. I've heard it before. It was sickly sweet. I've heard it plenty of times but where? "So, Aunt Sheila before Kate dies can all of us go hang with my friends at the bowling place?" Mason asked. I rolled my eyes. "I'm not dying and I'm not going dark." I said sounding stubborn. Mason stuck his tongue out. I looked over at Savannah, she was looking down at her plate. "Sure, but I want Savannah to watch all of you and make sure any of you don't commit a crime." She said. "What if I didn't want to go?" Savannah said finally looking up. "Well you are now." Aunt Sheila said back. "I don't like his friends or him. I'm sorry Aunt Sheila but I'm not going." She said back. I think that was what made Aunt Sheila finally snap. "Get over yourself Savannah! You and Mason are best friends and the fact that you won't talk to him just because of a petty argument?" Mason looked down at his plate. Savannah had guilt all over her face but she didn't want to let go of the grudge yet. "I-Well he deserved it." She said getting up to leave. "Absolutely not! Sit your ass down and work it out now! I don't have time for this when you all get chosen by fate you'll all have to have a bond that won't break. Your other best friend that you only have for 2 months before she goes dark and you're mad because You can't say no to Mason!"

By the end of the night when we all were tucked in and best friends once again I heard the voice. I'll see you tomorrow. Have a nice sleep. Logan. Mason's good friend. The voice belonged to Logan Clark. Unbelievable. Then again anything is possible these days.