Chapter 12

Two weeks. That's all I had. Two weeks until Aaron the guy who I have slowly learned a lot about. Nathaniel the sweet new guy. Cara a girl I have yet to meet. Mitchell a guy I forgot kinda existed. And me. Two weeks until we all go dark. "We're going to visit Craig in the wizard world." Aunt Sheila said startling me. Currently Aaron and the two elves were with us. Which made me realize where have Victoria and Jasmine been? At school, since Carter, Logan, Aaron, and Nathaniel joined our table I haven't seen them. Lately I've been noticing a lot of tension, probably because of the fact that three of our table will be dark. Or maybe the fact that Logan and Savannah can't seem to not talk to each other. In which Mason has not approved. He's constantly getting angry at them. The look in his eyes isn't just anger though. Jealousy. And lots of it. "Does that mean we have to leave? I really wanna prove to Ezra that I'm better." Aaron stated with his bright smile. He glanced at me nodding his head, I just rolled my eyes smiling a bit. "No, you can come if you would like. We leave in 5 minutes." She said quickly going into her room. "Well shit. Mom probably wants us home. Carter carry me." Logan said making a pouting face Carter just turned around and motioned for him to jump on his back. "Ha Gayyyyyy." I said laughing, then Savannah joined in. Nathaniel walked out trying to fix his hair in the mirror. "Ok be honest, how bad does my hair look?" Mason snickered, "Who you trying to look good for?" "Yeah and is she pretty?" Aaron said wiggling his eyebrows and dragging out the word "pretty." Nathaniel only rolled his eyes, mumbling a few words, glancing at me and Savannah. "You look great." I told him. "Yeah really great." Savannah said putting a thumbs up and nervously laughing.

All I remember before we walked into Craig's office was the conversation this couple was having. It went along the lines of, "Why did you do it?" and, "Goddamnit Arby!" Whoever the fuck Arby is, they kinda messed up. Craig's office looked a lot like Corley's office. The guy who saved me from Barry almost killing me. Barry is huge now, it's getting a lot harder to take care of him, and keeping him a secret. In his office there was a girl sitting in a chair. I'm not really sure what Craig does for a living but, it looked like he controlled where people went and what they do. When the girl turned around, Aunt Sheila smiled and motioned for Craig to follow. "Uh excuse me Cara, my wife needs me real quick. Kids don't touch anything." He smiled at Cara then glared at us. She had dirty blonde hair, that had tints of brown in some spots. She had these faded sky blue eyes, that matched her tank top. Freckles across her cheeks, along with plump pinkish lips. You could tell by her outfit, she was on the desperate side. Not desperate like slut, but desperate in need of a home. Ripped black jeans, a sky blue tank top, and ratted up old military boots. "Cara? As in Cara from Denver?" Nathaniel spoke almost in a whisper. She snap her head upward and a smile of relief formed on her face. "Nathaniel! What are you doing here?" She asked when she went to go hug him. Savannah shot me a confused glance and I just shrugged my shoulders. Whoever this Cara girl is, she sure is lucky to know Nathaniel. "How do you to know each other?" Ezra spoke up. "We went to a wizard boot camp together when we were little." Nathaniel said. "Yeah, all those popsicle sticks we use to pretend they were wands." She giggled. Aaron immediately grabbed my arm and dragged me to the corner. "What the fuck Aaron!?" "Shhhh. You know what this means? Cara. Nathaniel knows Cara. As in the fifth halfie. Kate we've almost all been connected in a way." I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean, we've been connected?" Looking down at his arms holding me. He quickly dropped his arms. "I mean we all know each other through school or mutuals. We know Nathaniel and Nathaniel just so happens to know the fifth halfie." I nodded my head. He was right. I didn't have much time to think on it because Aunt Sheila and Craig walked back in with someone trailing behind. Ja'Close. The same guy whose haunt Ezra in his dreams. The same guy who's asked who's the best. And the same guy who seems a bit off. In shock, I accidentally grabbed Aaron's hand and he told me it's going to be ok. Which means Aaron has met or seen Ja'Close before. Aaron was about to open his mouth but Ezra cut him off. "What is he doing here? And why are you guys holding hands?" I forgot I grabbed his hand and immediately let go. Feeling my face heat up from embarrassment. "Uh I don't know. He does work with Craig, remember?" I told him. Walking next to Savannah I left both of them. Left Ezra because he's been a real wimp this whole time. And I left Aaron because why didn't he let go? "Ah good to see you all again. And we've brought along some guests? Please tell me your names, I would love to know." Ja'Close said with that familiar sickly smile. Kinda reminded me of Daralyn. Actually they kinda looked a lot alike. The black hair and faint freckles. The only difference was he had brown and green eyes. "H-hi I'm Cara." Cara said shyly. She was no longer by Nathaniel but by Craig. "The names Nathaniel." He said with confidence like he always did when stating his name. Ja'Close then looked at me or behind me. "Oh is it my turn? Yes. Ok. Uh hi sir I'm Aaron." Savannah tried to keep her laugh in.

When we left we went out to dinner. Cara said she's living on her own now because of something that happened to her parents. Nathaniel almost looked as if he didn't care and all they really had in common was the camp they went to together. Sitting down at a sandwich place, Aaron and Mason were joking and messing around the whole time. "If you boys don't quit right now. I will make your life hell Mason Walker and Mr. Jones I suggest you stop right now before I get your mom." Aunt Sheila said in that mom threatening voice. "Oh please! Not my mom she'll kill me." Aaron said with what sounded like sarcasm but it was just his voice. "Hey Aunt Sheila. Can I go to the movies with Logan tomorrow night?" Immediately Mason shut his mouth. "Uh sure you can. Logan's a sweet boy. You too have something going on I don't know about?" Her voice was suggesting but firm as in watch yourself, all at once. It was the first time she let Savannah go anywhere with a guy alone. But I guess she trusts Logan then. Mason locked his jaw. As if he was fighting back something to say. Everyone except Aunt Sheila and Savannah looked at Mason. He finally opened his mouth, "Yeah are you two dating?" He said dating with so much disgust. Savannah's cheeks flushed, not sure because of Mason pissing her off or the idea of her and Logan dating. Maybe both. Mason had that effect on people. Easily piss them off and make them second guess. "No, we're just friends and I don't think it's your business anyways." She said with an attitude right back. Aaron was so into this soon to be argument, he continued to sip his drink in amusement. Aunt Sheila rolled her eyes and said she had to pee. "Actually I think it is my business considering he's my best friend and you're practically my sister." That's when it caught everyone's attention. That's when the tension floated in the air, so strong cutting it with a knife would be tricky. Everyone knows they were and are anything but siblings. "No! Mason, we were never brother and sister. You know that just like everyone else. You ruined our best friendship not me. And the fact that's he's your best friend, you should be getting me brownie points or something. You trust him therefore, even if we were dating it shouldn't matter. This is the end of the conversation. Don't even try saying anything back. I'm tired of your shit and I don't wanna hear your voice right now." She snarled every last word with poison. She didn't care if she hurt his feelings or not. He lost all the privileges of her caring. "So how bout that weather huh?" Aaron said with a smile. I glared at him. He just shook his head. Aunt Sheila came back to the table asking if everyone's ready to leave. "Aaron, you staying over tonight or am I taking you home?" I was sitting in the front seat. I looked in the rearview mirror. He looked tired. "You can take me home. I think Mason needs some time alone. And Nathaniel? Please chill out with the damn marshmallows. Next time I come they better not be gone." Nathaniel laughed, "I can't help it. I love marshmallows. They're heaven."

Bobby texted me that night. Asking if I wanted to sneak out and go to a party with him. I declined. I've been distant since we hung out last. I feel like everything Aunt Sheila said about him was true as much as I didn't want to believe it. My phone buzzed once again I sighed expecting to see Bobby text me but I was shocked when it was from Victoria. You should be careful. Might as well be with him cause you're going dark moment by moment. You just don't realize it. Once you join our side you won't care about your "family." Our side? I thought- my phone buzzed once again. Don't tell the others you got these messages. I have eyes and ears everywhere. You don't wanna blackmail me. Well looks like we'll be having a bit of fun. Playing with fate. She's crazy if she doesn't think I won't tell Savannah about this.