-.... .....

I waited in the lobby of the hospital form Dan to arrive. My flat was closer to the hospital than his was, so it probably would take him a few more minutes to walk here than I. It made me sad to think that we were here because his mum was in the hospital in a coma. Dan didn't deserve this. He already had enough on his plate to worry about, with his education on the line because of some stupid bullies that beat him to a pulp and landed him in the hospital. Those fuckers.

On the bright side, Dan said he loved me. He actually said it. I never thought that, in a million years, Dan would ever utter those words with my name in mind. Although, he could have just meant it in a friendly manner. Friends don't say that to each other, do they? If they did, why did he sound so sincere, as if he needed me to know that he loved me, and that I loved him too. Friends say that to each other all the time, though. Yeah. Friends.

I heard the doors of the hospital squeak open for the next person to enter, which was Dan. His fringe was greasy and he looked around frantically, like a child lost in the grocery store. I stood up abruptly and walked briskly in his direction. His eyes caught mine and he rushed toward me, clasping his arms around my body and enveloping me in a hug. I chuckled and snaked my arms around his waist, returning the embrace.

"I really live your hugs," he said to me, slowly releasing me and revealing his tear stained face and red eyes.

"Dan, you don't need to cry. I assure you, your mum is going to wake up any day now. And you'll be there to see it," I said, rubbing circles around his back as he sniffed.

"How do you know that, Phil? It's already been past the doctor's prediction. Anything can happen now," he said doubtfully. I sighed, turning and guiding him toward the reception desk.

"That's right, Dan. For all you know, she could wake up tomorrow, or even tonight. Try to be more positive," I said before we reached the reception desk. The receptionist looked up from her keyboard with a sad smile, probably noticing Dan's red eyes and twitching nose.

"Hello, who are you here to see?" she asked with a lopsided smile. I returned her smile and answered, figuring that Dan wasn't really in a state to be speaking.

"Mrs. Dana Howell," I said. "This is her son, Dan Howell. I'm his friend, Phil Lester." She tapped away on her keyboard a bit before looking back up at us with an even sadder smile one her face.

"I assume you already know where to go," she said. I nodded my head and she nodded toward the hall leading to the rest of the hospital rooms. I guided Dan toward the hallway, his head still hung low. I opened the door to her room, and there she was. Unmoving but visibly breathing. Hanging tubes by her side were connected to her by her wrists. She was somewhat pale. Dan ran to her side and sat in a chair, clasping onto her hand.

"Oh, mum," he murmured to himself. "Please wake up soon." He took one of her hands into his, rubbing it in between his own. He brought her hand up to his lips and kissed. Oh, if only I could be her hand. What I would give for him to kiss my hand like--

"Phil! Phil!" He shouted at me, jumping up and down and pointing at his mother's hospital bed. I jolted out of my stationary position to put my attention on Dan. Come on, Phil. Get out of your head and stop being selfish.

"What's wrong, Dan? What happened?" I shouted rushing over to where to he was he was previously sitting.

"Not what's wrong, Phil! What's right!" He exclaimed, grabbing onto my shoulders.

"Well, what is it, then?" I asked, chuckling.

"Phil."

"Yes, Dan?"

"She moved," he said. Did I hear what I think I just heard?

"What?" I asked for clarification.

"Phil! She moved her hand hand!" He exclaimed. What? She moved her hand? This means she woke up! Dan won't be sad anymore! We can fall in love and ride off into the sunset!

"Dan! That's great!" I exclaimed, grasping his shoulders and pulling him into me, hugging him. He was laughing so hard out of happiness. I could see the crinkles and water in his eyes. I laughed along with him. She was going to be okay, and so was Dan.

Man, did I love this boy.

***

We called the doctor and Dan said he would let me know when she was completely awake. I went home happy, knowing that Dan was finally going to be happy and we could be happy together.