-.... ---..

I ran to the hospital as fast as I could. I didn't want Dan to be alone at a time like this. He never could catch a break, could he? Just when we thought everything was fine, it wasn't.

First Dan got beat up and put in the hospital.

Then his mum got into an accident and fell into a come.

And just when she wakes up, we are put on edge again because she is having heart problems.

Why can't we just catch a break?

I just want to be with Dan. I want to hold him and kiss him and claim him as my own. I want to do so many things with him that I get worked up just thinking about it--oh fuck. Not in a time like this.

Please.

I run into the hospital, trying to think of my grandma to get my boner to go away. It really isn't an appropriate time to be horny, in a hospital with your best friend/crush's mum's life on the line. This was a time for me to be there for Dan. To comfort him in his time of need. To really get on his good side so maybe--

Why am I so selfish?

Dan's mum is dying and I'm thinking about how I am going to use this situation as an advantage to get to him.

Am I really that selfish?

I sigh to my self, frantically glancing around the room. I find Dan pacing back and forth in the space before the doors that led to the patient rooms. Sweat was dripping off his brow and he was panting furiously. I ran up to him and he turned to face me. I saw the familiar red, tear stained face that I had come so used to seeing. It broke my heart that just yesterday he was smiling, his face as bright as the sun. But now today, I see his familiar sad face that I had seen just a day before yesterday when his mum was still in a coma.

"Hey...Phil..." he said in a meek voice, his chin tucked to his chest.

"How's she doing?" I said, resting a caring hand on his shoulder.

"She's stable now, but they said they didn't know how long it would last. They're going to call me in in a few minutes," he explained, voice still quiet and barely above a whisper.

"Hey, it'll be alright. I'm here for you. I'll always be your shoulder to cry on. Don't you worry," I said. He nodded his head gently and pulled me in for a hug.

"Daniel Howell?" I heard a female voice say, probably one of the nurses.

"That's me," he said, eagerly lifting his head out of my chest and facing the nurse.

"You can come in now," she said with a small, sympathetic smile. He returned her smile and led me inside, where we walked down the halls of the hospital leading to Mrs. Howell's room. I really hated these hospitals. I hated the memories they brought back to me from just a few years ago. But I've grown used to it, and almost conquered my fear of hospitals with all I've been doing here the past month. Helping Dan has really brought me out of my comfort zone, and that's what I'm thankful for. I'm also thankful for how sweet Dan is. I know he noticed my fright the first day I had come to see him, but he didn't mention it.

We walked into her room, where she lay facing up, her eyes open but filled with tears. Dan rushed over to her and grabbed her hand, holding it to his chest. I just stood awkwardly in the background.

"Mum, are you alright? Can I get you anything?" He asked.

"No thank you, Dan. I just want to rest."

"Well, I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be back in a second. Phil can keep you company, right Phil?" he said, rushing out of the room before I could answer. I turned to her and walked more toward her bed. I wanted to ask her something. I figured it was now or never.