Over Coffee

They manage to dissipate the awkwardness inside the elevator despite the electricity buzzing between them with small talk. RJ manage to calm his heart down by concentrating on the melodic sound of her voice as she told him about the cookbook she's about to get published. Maine on the other hand, found it unexpectedly comfortable talking with RJ, something she had never felt with anyone before. She was usually quiet around people she just met but RJ seemed to be engaged in their conversation that she was encouraged to continue.

Their conversation continued as they walked to the coffee shop near the hospital.

"RJ, what's your coffee. Hanap ka na lang ng seat natin." As RJ opened the glass door of the café and ushered Maine in.

"No, you go find us a seat and I'll buy us coffee." He insisted.

"RJ, please. Let me get this? Di ako matatahimik. Sige na please." She pleaded with hands clasp together and puppy dog eyes.

"Hahaha. Ano ka? Ligaw na kaluluwa. It's fine. Ako na bahala sa coffee natin."

"RJ, please? Sige na. To at least make up for all the trouble. Sobrang naistorbo na kita tapos etong si Ate Colleen pa, ugh. Pasensya ka na talaga kay Ate ha."

"Hahahaha. Oh sya, sige na. Baka umiyak ka pa dito e. Aray!" RJ exclaimed as he rubbed his arm that Maine playfully hit. He chuckled and shook his head lightly. He conceded. She's just too cute to refuse.

"Thank you. Madali ka naman palang kausap e." Maine joked. "So ano na nga ang coffee mo?"

"Americano with room for milk, no sugar."

They chatted more over cheesecake and coffee, his, Americano and hers, Caramel Macchiato topped with cinnamon and nutmeg but their conversation was interrupted when RJ's phone rang.

"Oh, Tsong. Fine. Sige, punta na ko dyan.... Huy, wag ka nga... Nagmamagandang loob lang ako... Di ako kagaya mo, Sam."

"Ayan na, hanap ka na ng mga friends mo no?"

"Yup, unfortunately." He confirmed, feeling quite disappointed that he had to leave already.

"Oh sige, you go na. Ilang oras mo na kong kasama. Hala! 7pm na pala. 3 oras na tayong magkasama. Buhay pa ba sila?"

"Hahaha. Buhay pa naman. Pero gutom na. Naubusan na ng pagkain at beer. So I guess 'll see you soon?"

"Soon? Ay oo nga naman, baka may damage kang makita sa car mo. Mejo nasapak ko ng bongga yung steering wheel mo e."

"I'm sure it'll be okay. But I'll be sure to contact you if it decides to sue you." They both laughed as they stood from their seats and walked back towards the hospital. RJ was internally cursing Sam for ruining the moment. He wanted to stay longer and talk to Maine more but he's the birthday boy so...He just hoped he'd see her again. Well, he could, actually. Maine already gave him her calling card anyway.

"RJ? You okay? Tumahimik ka?" she asked as they near the entrance to the hospital.

"Wala lang. Naisip ko lang the way we met kanina. Hmmm. How do I say this?" He rubbed his nape again as he tried to find the right words.

"Well to say the least, it was unexpected."

"Maybe. Pero, that's not it. Iba pa e. It's at the tip of my tongue."

Maine's phone rang.

" Hello po?...Tay...Ay okay po. Sige po balik na ko."

"Oh ayan na. I guess this is goodbye then."

"Yeah I guess. Dumating na si Tatay e. Be sure to call me if may damage yung car mo ha."

"Yup. So uhm, thanks for coffee."

"Thank you din sobra for bringing me here. Sobra talaga."

"Wala yun. And don't think na naistorbo mo ko, ok? So...sige, una na ko." He said as he leaned forward and gave her a buss on her cheek like it's the most natural thing to do, then started walking to the parking lot. He had to. He couldn't not do it. If this would be the last time he'd see her, at least he had this memory. He wanted to make sure this wasn't all a dream. What happened today was all too beautiful to be dismissed as coincidence. There has to be a reason. The Universe has to have a reason.

Maine was startled by what RJ did that her hand immediately went to her bussed cheek and felt her cheek grew warm and blushed that she was sure RJ could see her beet red face all the way from the other side of the parking lot. Good thing RJ didn't since he already walking away. She was following him with her eyes when RJ looked back at her, smiled and waved as he opened his car door. It was too late to look away so she just waved back and smiled. She waited for RJ to get in his car before opening the glass door of the hospital. She was blushing all over again.

What was that? And why am I so affected? May pagbeso pa tong si RJ. Why am I blushing? Kakakilala mo pa lang sa kanya, Menggay. Ano ba? Umayos ka! Puso ko, kalma please. How is it possible for her to feel like this for someone she has just met 3 hours ago?

A/N: As promised, here's the continuation of my AMACon's entry, Never the Strangers. This is my first muti-chaptered MaiChard story so sana mapanindigan ko. I'm still not decided how long I'll write this story for but I'll update as much as I could despite fangirling and adulting duties. Thank you so much for those who have read, voted and commented on this story through the AMACon Writers WP account and through here on mine. Thank you so much for your support.

As always, let me know your thoughts (or prompts on how you think the story should progress , aka your suggestions) by commenting down below or tweeting me via bankingonkismet.