Permission

"RJ, Iho, ano bang balak mo?" Tatay Ted asked tersely.

"Tungkol saan po, Tito?" replied RJ, although he already had an inkling of what he might be talking about.

"Kay Menggay ko. I saw the way you look at her kanina. Gusto ko lang malaman kung ano talaga ang intensyon mo sa bunsong babae ko."

"Yun nga po, Tito. Ahm, I know this is all too sudden and we only just met last week. Pero kung papayag po kayo. I'd like to ask your daughter out po on a date." Even with his heart racing and beads of sweat forming on his brows, he muttered a silent prayer for courage.

Tatay Ted's face grew serious, his lips in a thin line. "Why?"

"Tito, wag po sana kayong magagalit. Pero gusto ko po si Maine. Mahirap pong ipaliwanag. Today is only the second time we've seen each other pero I'm hoping you'd allow me to take her out to find out if she feels the same."

"Ah, ganon ba? Eh, Iho, sinabi mo na ba yan kanya?"

"Hindi pa po."

"Bakit hindi pa?"

"Humahanap pa po ako ng tyempo."

The old man bellowed in laughter.

"Susmaryosep kang bata ka. Hindi ka nahiyang magpaalam saken pero natorpe kang magsabi sa anak ko?"

He rubbed his neck, his ears red, smiling shyly. The moment he saw Maine singing in the kitchen, so carefree and unpretentious, he already decided he'd ask her today but he thought it was best to ask her parents first. He's been waiting for an window since lunch. "Gusto ko rin po sana munang magpaalam kay Tita."

"Aba Iho, bilib ako sa tapang mo. Sandali at tatawagin ko ang Tita Mary Ann mo." He said as he clapped his hand on his shoulder. "Tara sa opisina ko."

RJ came back to the living room with a wide grin on his face, his dimple seemingly deeper than it was earlier. Maine noticed and asked him about it but he just shrugged and grabbed popcorn from the coffee table as they watch Joseph Gordon Levitt dance in the middle of the street to Hall and Oates' You Make My Dreams. She dismissed it and continued watching 500 Days of Summer with her sisters. Nico, John and Dean backed out and opted to play video games in the game room instead. Tatay and Nanay may have retreated back to the study. He kept looking at her, each time with a smile more mesmerizing than the last. Maine pretended she didn't notice. She just hoped that her ears or her cheeks did not betray her.

***

He left the Mendoza residence at 9pm at the request of Nanay for him to stay for dinner. Tatay, Nico, John and Dean either clapped him on his shoulder or hugged him when he said goodbye to them. "Ahm, anong meron?" was Maine's question but everyone only smiled at her in response. It was quite new to her because among all the guys she brought home in the past (there were 2, then RJ), they'd only gone as far as a handshake.

"Ahm, erhm. Maine, thank you for having me for lunch. And dinner." RJ started as they reached his car. He reluctantly fished his keys from his pocket.

"You're welcome. Always. Thank you ulit for last week. I hope you didn't have other plans tonight. Pansin mo, lagi na lang akong nangiistorbo sayo since we met."

"Uy, hindi ah. I didn't have any plans today. So I'm really glad you called."

"Weh, mamatey?"

"Pramis nga." He said chuckling. "Actually I've been wanting to call you kaso nahihiya ako." He said, smiling shyly, his head bowed slightly, his hand on his nape.

Jusko, bakit ang cute nya po?

RJ's smile even widened, his eyes too, his cheeks blushing. "Ano? Cute ako?"