Worry

The next order of business was to let their families know about the good news.

Maine was quite worried about her father though. He didn't take it very well when she first introduced James to him as his boyfriend years ago. They were having Sunday dinner at their house in Bulacan when she finally found the courage to tell the family about her and James being together when Tatay Ted's face reddened and the fork he was holding fell with a loud clang down his plate startling everyone else around the table. He stood up from the table and called James to follow him to his office. Fifteen excruciating minutes later and James came out of the office pale of face and drenching in sweat. James never told her what her father talked to him about.

To be honest, she feared for RJ but it had to be done. She'd much rather tell her father now than wait longer. She prayed though that Tatay Ted would take the news better than he did the last time. With her Nico, Kuya John and Dean, she wasn't as worried. She saw how they interacted with RJ every time he came over to visit and if their casual pats on the back and video game sessions are any indication, then she had nothing to concerned about.

"Love, huy! Ok ka lang? What are you thinking?" They were cuddling on her couch, with her back leaning against his chest while she painted circles on his skin with her thumb absentmindedly as they watched Serendipity on DVD over caramel popcorn and Coke.

"I'm ok." She sat back up and sighed again before speaking. "Love, sama ka sakin sa Bulacan on Sunday for lunch. I want to introduce you na kina Tatay as my boyfriend. Mas maaga mas maganda."

"Talaga? E bakit sa Sunday pa? Now na!" He suggested, all smiles, as he lifted her to his lap. He looked up at her as he pulled her closer, one arm on her waist and the other on her thigh while she rested her hands on his shoulders.

"Ay wow! Ang excited mo namang harapin si Tatay. Handa ka na ba? Alalahanin mo, bunsong babae nya ako." She exclaimed looking at him impressively. "Aba, Tapang ng baby ko ah."

"Love, wala akong dapat ikatakot. Mahal kita, malinis ang intentions ko. Bakit mas kinakabahan ka pa?" He looked at her quizzically.

"Eh kasi, kinakabahan ako sa magiging reaction nya. I mean, yes he likes you pero this time boyfriend na kita. Two days pa lang tayo. Gusto ko sanang tumagal tayo. Baka lang kasi…" She really wanted to keep him and she could be over reacting but all she wanted was for her Tatay to love RJ as much as the rest of her family did.

"Bakit papatayin ba ko ni Tito? Aba'y gawan na muna natin sya ng apo!" He blurted out in mock shock then quickly, with a wide smile and wriggling eyebrows. Then his face turned serious and uttered sincerely as he brought his thumb to her cheek, "Love, handa akong humarap sa family, pati sa dambana basta ikaw ang katabi ko."

"Asus, ang keso o. Ang cute cute!" She pinched his cheeks as she giggled and crinkled her nose hoping he didn't notice how her cheeks flushed at his words.

"Ayaw mo ba? Ako kasi gustong gusto ko. Mula pa nung unang dumalaw ako sa Bulacan."

"Ha? Talaga?" She asked with widened eyes in genuine surprise. She gazed at him intently searching for sincerity only to find him looking right at her and through her soul. She didn't have to second-guess him. She felt in her hearts of heart the truth in his confession.

Silently, he tipped her chin towards him, still staring at her like she was Northern star and he was but a mere mortal making a wish. Suddenly, everything fell quiet except for her heart trying to beat her way out of her chest and her pulse throbbing behind her ears. He swallowed as his eyes travelled from her mesmerizing caramel orbs down to her lips and back seemingly asking for permission, checking for any sign of hesitation, and when she closed her eyes as if in surrender, he drew his lips nearer and caged her face tenderly with his hands before gently pulling her towards him and meeting her lips with his.