The Call

He cleared his throat before bringing his phone to his ear.

"Good evening po, Tito."

"Good evening, RJ, kumusta date nyo ni Menggay? Malakas ang ulan dito. Mukhang malakas din ulan dyan e."

"Opo, Tito. Pasensya na po. I would have wanted to really take her out po sana pero bumuhos po yung ulan. Dito na lang po kami sa condo nya. Kesa naman po maipit kami sa traffic, or worse, baha." he reasoned out, his words rattling on for fear that his voice might hitch or worse, Tito Ted might get mad.

He heard a loud guffaw from the other side of the line.

"Tito?"

"Kalma, iho. hindi kita kakainin ng buhay. Salamat naman at di na kayo lumabas. At least alam kong safe kayo. Pero ayokong dyan ka matutulog ha."

"Ay hindi po, Tito. Naintindihan ko po."

"Magpatila ka muna ng ulan bago ka umuwi ng alas onse ha."

11pm? It's already 10pm. He suddenly felt disappointed at the thought of leaving.

"Yes po, Tito. Aalis na po ako by 11," Maine who was standing right next to him, trying straining to listen into their conversation, threw her a questioning look at that last part.

"Tawagan mo ako kapag nakaalis ka na sa unit ha. Pakausap ako kay Menggay."

RJ handed his phone to Maine in a nervous smile, quite relieved that Maine's father was okay with their indoor date.

"Tay?...Tay naman e. Taaaaaay! Opo, Tay. Bye po."

Maine handed RJ's phone back to him, looking both restless and apologetic.

"Anong sabi ni Tito?"

"Tinatanong ni Tatay kung inlove na ko sayo." RJ had to cough to hide his amusement at her bluntness, tring his best not to ask her to answer that question.

"Tapos wala daw syang tiwala sa ulan. So pinapauwi ka na nya ng 11pm. I'm sorry. Ok lang ba?" She apologized as she put her hand on his arm.

"Of course. I perfectly understand." Trying his best not to smile too wide at the contact.

***

It was 10:57pm, 3 more minutes till he has to leave. Unfortunately, the rain had let up, leaving him no other reason to stay. Well, Maine was. But he respected her and her family so he will keep his promise to Tito Ted. They were both sitting on her couch, deep in conversation at the sound of the pitter patter of the rain outside, smiling at each other, but both dreading the sound of RJ's phone alarm. Three more minutes and he had to leave.

Then it happened. They were both startled by the sound of his alarm blaring throughout her unit. Both sighed in unison, reluctantly cutting the night short.

"Maine, mauna na ko. Gusto ko mang magstay, I promised Tito Ted I'll leave at 11." They both stood up and walked towards the door.

"I'm sorry, RJ." She apologized again. She would have wanted him to stay.

"Ok lang, naintindihan ko si Tito." He took her hand and brought it to his lips. Her mouth fell slightly open as warmth crept up her cheeks, tainting them crimson. "I'll see you on our second date. Or sooner."

Susko, RJ. Kelan ba ko hindi kikiligin sayo?

"Ok. Text me when you get home please." She said, handing him a box of cookies that she baked earlier for their dessert.

"I will. Thanks for these." He said before leaning in and bussing her cheek. He smiled at her, a smile that reached his eyes, turning them into slits, his dimple almost like a hole on his cheek.