A Grandmother's Love

RIZZA?! Ano yan?!

He hurried walked over to where they were and almost tripped as he walked towards the coffee table to set down the stuff he brought in from the car. His sight zeroed in on the leather bound album that Maine was holding.

Rizza suddenly looked pale while RJ looked so horrified, it was as if Lola Linda found his stash of condoms in his room.

"Hi RJ, I mean, Alfafa." Maine greeted, trying her best not to giggle at the way he looked at that moment.

"Alfalfa?! Susmaryosep, Rizza! Yun pa talagang picture na yun ang pinakita mo? Baka hindi ako sagutin ng Ate Maine mo nyan e." He said as he combed through his hair in frustration.

"Bakit, Kuya. Ang cute mo kaya dun?"

"Yeah, so cute I'm thinking of keeping that photo, ok lang ba?"

"Weh, Ate. Seryoso ka ba? Mukha kaya syang katsupoy dun."

"Ah talaga ba Rizza? Ahm, magkano nga ulit yung iPad na nirerequest mo? May trabaho ka na no? Kaya mo na sigurong bilhin yun no?"

"Hala, Kuya. Joke lang naman. Ang cute mo kaya dun." Rizza said, standing up from the couch and pinching his cheeks.

Maine laughed watching RJ's out at his sister when Lola Linda with Kuya RD holding her by her elbow while his other hand pushed Lolo Danny's wheel chair came into the living room.

"Tano ba nama't ang iingay ninyo?"

"Ay sorry po, My. Si Rizza kasi e. My, Pa, Kuya RD, si Maine po pala."

"Ay ito na ba si Maine? Ay kagandang bata ano?" Maine blushed at the compliment.

Good evening po, Lola, Lolo, Kuya RD." Maine greeted, taking each of the elder's hand and putting it on her forehead.

"Halika nga, hija." Lola Linda beckoned. Maine slowly walked towards her, giving RJ a worried look before doing so. "Apo, wag kang matakot. Susmaryosep na batang to."

"Hello po, Lola." She greeted again and was surprised when Lola Linda cupped here face. "Hindi na ako nagtataka kung bakit gusto ka ng apo ko. Maganda na, magalang pa." Maine smiled shyly. She could never get used to being complimented. She had always felt that they were talking about somebody else and not her. "Salamat at pinapasaya mo ang apo ko. Ngayon ko lang ulit nakitang ganyan kaganda ang ngiti nya." She blushed even further and looked at RJ. He was blushing too.

Lolo Danny cleared his throat. "Maine, iha. Isumbong mo sa akin kapag pinaiyak ka ng apo kong ito, ano. At ako ang sasapok sa kanya para sayo."

"Grabe ka kay RJ, Pa." RD chimed in, chuckling.  "Pero, Maine, sasagutin mo ba talaga tong si RJ? Eh uhugin to e."

"Huy, Kuya!" RJ protested gently pushing his brother's shoulder. Kuya RD only laughed.

"Ok lang po, Kuya. Marami po akong supply ng Neozep."

"Ay totoo yan. Uhugin talaga si RJ." They didn't notice April, his cousin, coming in. She went straight to her grandparents to pay her respects then bussed her cheek and momentarily held her hand as if they've known each other for so long. "Hi, Maine. Super psyched to finally meet you." She greeted with a giggle.

Maine gave her a shy smile. "Nice to meet you, Ate April."

****

To RJ's relief, his family did not show Maine anymore humiliating teenage photos or tell her more embarrassing stories over dinner. She sat next to him and he was glad that she

finally relaxed. She comfortably made conversations with his family, even with Angel, his youngest sister who sat next to her. They talked about Globie, his Kuya RJ's husky, as she put food on her plate. She fit right in with his family and he couldn't be happier.