First Day

Worry etched on Maine's face as RJ's car pulled away from the parking lot and into the highway to get to the hospital. He still had no idea who Lola Abeng was but from the way Maine trembled as she held back tears told him that Lola Abeng was special.

"Meng, everything's gonna be fine. Don't worry." He said softly, trying to soothe the concern from her eyes. "Kuwentuhan mo na lang ako about Lola Abeng." He suggested as he reached for her hand and squeezed it tight.

Maine gave her a faint smile. "Thank you, RJ. First day natin as a couple tapos I'm dragging you to see my ex-fiance's lola."

He slowed down his driving and looked at her girlfriend in confusion. "Lola ni James yung pupuntahan natin?"

She looked at him with guilt then sighed before opening her mouth to explain. RJ cut her off.

"Meng, you don't have to explain. Ok lang. What's important is ex mo na si James. Past. Ako ang present and future." He smiled sincerely. He never did care. Not that he was overconfident. It was more of him trusting Maine. And with Maine as his girlfriend, he could face anything or anyone. Even James.

"Still. There's a big chance na andun sya sa hospital with Inanang Abeng. I still want you to know. And I'm sorry I didn't give you details about him bago kita sinagot. That was unfair of me."

"Menggay, mahal mo ko. Yun lang ang mahalaga saken."

"I do, I love you. Pero ikukuwento ko na din for my peace of mind, ok?"

He nodded. He forgot how persistent she could be but at least he was able to take her mind off worrying.

"So as I said, he was my fiance. When he proposed to me, you know what he said?"

"What?"

She cleared her throat before proceeding, "Ganto. He went down on one knee with a ring on his hand and said: 'Maine, Baby. You already know the question. I just need to know the answer.'" She narrated, changing her voice into that of a cocky sounding guy probably trying to imitate James.

He couldn't hold it in anymore. He threw his head back in laughter while hitting the steering wheel repeatedly. "Wow."

"Ay grabe sya o. Ang wagas ng tawa. Huy!" She blushed but eventually laughed with him.

When he finally calmed down, he cleared his throat and exclaimed, "Sorry Love. Susmaryosep naman kasi. Anong klaseng proposal naman yun? No wonder you dumped him."

"I know right? But that lame proposal wasn't the reason why I dumped him though. He cheated on me."

"What?! Why?" He suddenly felt irritation brewing inside him. How can someone cheat on Maine? The woman sitting next to him deserved to be treated only with love. That made him want to punch James in the face if he ever got the chance to meet him. Then again, just like Liv, James was one broken road that Maine had to get through to get to him. And he was grateful.

"Yep. Two days before he proposed. I was supposed to meet Val at a restaurant kaso napaaga ako ng dating. When I parked my car, I saw his car in the parking lot. Tatawagan ko sana but then I saw him leaving with that girl he said was his business partner. They were holding hands, tapos nakalingkis si Ate Girl sa kanya."

"Anong ginagawa mo?" He asked, looking at her before turning his attention back on the road.

"Wala."

"Wala? Hindi mo sinugod? Sinabi mo kay Val?"

"Hindi. I mean not that day at least."

"Bakit?"

"I don't know. Nagalit ako when I saw him with that girl pero hindi ako nasaktan?" She ended her statement with a question mark. "Ewan. I mean, we were two years together. Pero he was always away taking care of the family farm in Batangas that we only see each other once, maybe twice a month. Kaya mas mahal ko ang lola nya e. Mas madalas ko pa kasama si Inanang Abeng kesa sa kanya. She was the grandmother I never had. Kasi ang mga lolo't lola ko, nasa States sila lahat. She helped fill in that void."