First Encounter

2011

It was the third time he'd seen her this week. He saw her the first time last Tuesday.

Since then, they'd sheepishly smile at each other sometimes, when their eyes would meet as he pedaled past her. She'd never seen his eyes though. He always wore his sports shades when he biked.

For the past two days he would see her enter the park and warm up under a tree then run for about 3-5 kilometers based on his observation. By the time his watch ticked 7am, he would already be craning his neck trying to spot her from the crowd.

"Ayan na sya." He thought. "She looked extra beautiful today." He sighed then smiled watching her jog past him, her hair on a high ponytail, yellow dry-fit sleeveless tank top and jogging pants that perfectly hugged her endless legs. He could only hope that she'd smile at him again today.

RJ biked opposite her direction, in the middle of the street, while she ran along the sidewalk when they both realized that they were both looking at each other, that a smile immediately fell on both their lips. They were a few more feet away from each other when another cyclist swerved a little too close to his bike to turn to a street on the left. He got startled that he wasn't able to put on his brakes on time, causing him to collide with the said cyclist. He only mumbled an apology then sped away without so much as a second glance while RJ was left on the ground wincing in pain. He was trying to get up using his elbow as support when he felt a pair of hands gently grab his elbow and put it over her shoulder.

"Oh my God, are you okay?" She asked, her voice laced with genuine concern as she pulled him up and walked him to the curb.

"I'm okay. Thank you, ha." He replied almost in a whisper as he tried to smoothen his face contorted in pain.

"Talaga? Kahit di maipinta yung itsura mo?" she said raising her eyebrow, her lips hinting on a smile.

He chuckled in response.

"Seryoso, patingin ng sugat," as she checked on his limbs, the parts she saw hit the ground when he stumbled from his bike.

"Gasgas lang to."

"Gasgas ka dyan. Ang daming dugo o. May first aid kit kaba dyan sa bike mo?"

"Meron, andun sa ilalim ng upuan ng bike ko."

"Ok, wait lang. she walked towards his bike still in the middle of the street. She was about to pick it up by its handlebars when another cyclist beat her to it.

"I got this." He assured her. "Ok ka lang, Pre?" he shouted towards RJ's direction. It was Sam, one of RJ's best friends.

"Ok lang ako, Pre." he replied, holding two thumbs up to Sam, who was approaching RJ with his bike, Maine walking next him.

"Sige, iwan na kita dyan ha, Pre." He then turned to Maine, "I'm Sam nga pala." Kaw na bahala sa kaibigan ko ha. I have to go e." He got back on his bike but before speeding away, winked at RJ.

"No worries. I'll take care of him," she said then faced RJ. "Tingnan natin sugat mo."

"Ok lang to. May first aid kit ako dito sa bike ko. Pakikuha na lang please. Andun sa maliit na pouch under the seat."

She opened the pouch and took out a small bottle of Betadine, cotton balls and band aids. She dutifully cleaned his wounds on his left elbow and knee and put a band aid on them. He watched how gracefully she deftly dabbed the cotton ball with Betadine over his wounds and gingerly pressed band aids over them. She then handed him his water bottle.