Hands

It still surprised Maine how easily she had gotten comfortable with RJ this fast.

He was sweet, caring, considerate and most of all, a gentleman to a fault. She remembered the first time he tried to hold her hand one night, while they were talking on the rooftop of her condo unit under the stars, over salads and wraps from Juju Eats. She felt him watch her as they sat next to each other on a blanket while she told him a story about Max, their family terrier that passed away last year because of old age and how as a puppy, according to her parents, he would always sit right next to her crib when she was a baby each night as if watching over her.

She felt a jolt of electricity when she suddenly felt his hand lifting hers, though gingerly, from her lap and interlocked his fingers with hers. She stopped from talking abruptly and looked at him with confusion. She didn't know how to react but feeling the warmth of their hands clasped together definitely felt right. It felt home. She smiled. He smiled back, blew a sigh of relief then squeezed her hands tighter sending goosebumps down her spine.

"Uhm, medyo weird ka, no?" She commented trying to dissolve the awkwardness that threatened to consume her. It always surprised her how much attention RJ gives her.

"Bakit naman?" He asked, looking at her with furrowed brows.

"Nahawakan mo na at nahalikan yung kamay ko before. And more times after that. E bakit parang kabado kang hawakan kamay ko ngayon?"

With his free hand, he rubbed his nape and with the faint glow of the lone light bulb attached to one of the posts on the rooftop, she saw his ear reddened.

"Uhmm. Yes I did. I don't know, honestly. Those times kasi, I just held your hand. This time is different, though. I've been wanting to hold your hand like this." He lifted their entwined hands to his lips and gently kissed the back of hers.

"And?"

"I like how they fit together. Perfectly."

It was her turn to blush.

***

It had been four weeks since that starry Thursday night and two months since they met. RJ being the sentimental guy that he was wanted to spend the day with her to celebrate their 'second chance' as he called it. So that Saturday, he picked Maine up from her condo with plans of breakfast at his café which he would show her for the first time, lunch at Concha's in Tagaytay then dinner at his family home in Laguna.

RJ realized that he didn't need to wait longer to introduce her to his family. His dad Richard had been curious about her anyway and kept bugging him to bring home the reason why his smile now reached his eyes and why there suddenly was a spring in his steps. His grandmother, Lola Linda, who raised him since his mother Rio passed away, was especially intrigued to get to know the reason behind this renewed twinkle in his eyes. It had been missing for the last 3 years and she had been praying to see it again one day. Whoever she was, she loved her already.

RJ took her hand after getting out of his car. He didn't let go. The moment Maine stepped into his café, she let out a soft gasp as she took in the warm ambience of the restaurant, the red plush chairs and dark mahogany tables, the yellow tea lights scattered all over the wall by the bar and especially the glass case of different cakes and pastries that RJ mentioned were made using his late mom's recipes. It was homey and relaxing.

He didn't realize he was holding his breath until she saw her smile as she appreciated the simple yet elegant décor of the place. He was quite nervous to show her his café because it was very personal to him. After all, he named it Café del Rio in honor of his late mother and he felt that bringing Maine here was like introducing her to his Mama Rio. In fact, she would be the first girl he ever brought here.