And She Said...

After driving around for hours and trying to contact her to no avail, RJ decided that it may be best to just wait for her at her condo. He had ran out of options. He hoped that she'd turn up and with her not answering her phone and her friends and family not knowing where she went, he might as well wait. He even went to the places she told him she frequented but she wasn't there either.

He'd been worried sick to be honest, because knowing Maine, she would be thinking how she inferior she was next to Liv. His ex-girlfriend was not even half the woman Maine was and that was what RJ wants Maine to understand.

Maine always asked him what he saw in her but he only had one answer every single time: Because she was different. The good kind of different. The kind that broke molds and expectations, beyond compare, leaving one surprised, amazed and in awe of how wonderful and beautiful she was. And he wouldn't let Liv or anyone come between him and the woman he loves.

He wanted to assure Maine of that, to trust that it would always be her. It had been his mission since he met her, to make sure she felt, she knew how special she was, even when most of the time, she didn’t believe him.

"RJ, anong meron saken? Bakit ako? Paano?" was her question.

"Because you are beautiful. And wonderful and YOU."

She stayed quiet but he felt her shoulders tensed.

"I'll say it until and even after you believe it," he promised her one Thursday night when they were on her balcony, both of them looking out to the city skyline and the stars above it, his arms wrapped around her, her back resting against his wildly beating heart. "Masyado namang madali yang tanong mo. Pahirapan mo naman ako." He joked. She was always uncomfortable with compliments. He earned a giggle and playful jab on his stomach because of it.

He got out of his car and went up to her unit. Her door was still locked which made him worry even more. He took one last look at his phone hoping to see a text from her but there still wasn't any.  Asan ka na ba, Menggay? He muttered as he sat down on the floor with his legs crossed, leaning back and resting his head against the door. He dialed her number again but she still wasn't answering. "Please be safe. Please be safe," he prayed. He couldn't forgive himself is something bad would happen to her.

/

There he was sleeping awkwardly while sitting on her doormat with his back slouched against her door, his head a just few inches below the doorknob. He loosely held a bouquet of yellow carnations as he snored softly. She crouched down, her face now leveled with his and regarded his features. He looked like an angel even with his furrowed brows and that worried look on his face. How can I be mad at you for too long? Besides, dapat ba talaga akong magalit?

She gingerly pushed up a stray hair from his forehead and gently combed her fingers through his hair. Hay, RJ. How did I ever deserve someone like you?

She smiled as she marveled at his beautiful face for a few more beats while berating herself for worrying him. "Ang gwapo mo pa din kahit tulog." She whispered, poking his dimple with her forefinger.

He might have felt someone touch him that he jerked and grabbed her wrist quite forcefully.

“Huh! Maine!” He exclaimed, startled and still quite woozy from sleep.

“Sssh. RJ, I’m here. I’m here.” she cooed rubbing his arms soothingly.

He breathed a sigh of relief as soon as he saw her and pull her in for a hug. “Maine naman. Tinakot mo ko. Wag ka namang biglang umaaalis ng ganon, ha. Wag mo naman akong biglang iiwan.”

This is a man whom I walked away from and here he is begging me to stay. Bakit ang bait Nyo po saken, Lord?

She pulled away and smiled at him. She caressed his cheek with her thumb, tears threatening to escape the corners of her eyes.

“Hey, wag ka nang umiyak. I’m sorry. Liv’s gone. She won’t bother us again.”

“No, No, RJ. I’m sorry. Inatake na naman ako ng pagka insekyora ko. Kasi naman, she's a model, for Christ sake. Anong laban ko dun? I'm sorry. I ran for the hills at the first test of trust and you didn't even deserve to be doubted. You've always been so wonderful and honest saken. Tapos dahil nainsecure ako, binalewala ko lahat ng effort mo. What does that make...me?” All this she said in one breath then slowed down saying that last bit because she realized that RJ was grinning. 

"Huy," hitting his arm, "nagsosorry ako tapos ang laki ng ngiti mo dyan."

“The woman I love, Maine. The woman I love.”

"What?" She wanted to make sure she heard him right, that her ears weren't playing with her because her heart was already doing cartwheels around her ribcage to the music of his words, praying that it wasn't just her imagination.

"Tinatanong mo kung anong laban mo kay Liv, diba? Ang laban mo, mahal kita. Mahal na mahal." He said, poking her nose. "Then you asked what does it make you, running off like you did? Yun, the woman I love. Because I love you, flaws, imperfections and all."

"Oh, RJ..." she had no words. She had to put her hand over her chest trying to calm her heart.

"And no, you don't have to answer me right now but I'm gonna ask you anyway." He held her hand and kissed it. "Maine, will you be my girlfriend?" He looked at her like he always had, like he could see through her soul.

She paused for a moment then smiled, no, she beamed at his question. She realized that it was futile to make him wait longer. She couldn’t wait any longer.

"Yes. I want to be your girlfriend. Mahal din kita, RJ. "

RJ's eyes widened in surprise and hurriedly stood up, hitting his head quite hard on the doorknob, wincing in pain and giggling at the same time.

"Oh ayan. Wag kasing, excited. Nauntog ka tuloy.” She teased, rubbing the top of his boyfriend's head, yes, his boyfriend’s head, feeling for a bump.

"Hahaha. I don't care, Maine. Sinagot mo na ko e. Kahit ilang beses pa kong mauntog sa door knob." He laughed heartily as he pulled Maine into a tight embrace then whispered to her ear. "Maine Mendoza is my girlfriend. Ang sarap pakinggan. Salamat, Meng."

She pulled away and held his face, "Yes. And Richard Faulkerson, Jr is MY boyfriend. I love you, Alfalfa." She giggled and pinched his cheeks.

"Dahil sinagot mo ko today, papalampasin ko yan ha. Hahaha. I love you too." He replied, shaking his head and chuckling then giving her forehead a firm kiss.

They gazed at each other, a smile lingering on their lips. He looked down on her lips and back to her eyes, seemingly asking for permission, seeking for any signs of hesitation on her face but there was none. And just when his lips were just about an inch away from hers, his phone rang.

 He reluctantly picked his phone from his pocket answered the call.

"Ate Nikki?...Opo… andito na po sya…kakarating nya lang po…Opo, papagalitan ko po…Maine, kausapin ka daw ni Ate Nikki." he said as he passed his phone to Maine.

"Ate? Sorry na…What?! Si Lola Abeng?...Sang ospital? Sige…sige…papunta na ko. Thank you, Ate."

"Sino si Lola Abeng?"

“I’ll explain to you in the car. Samahan mo ko, please?” She pleaded, concern etching her face and pulling his hand as she hurried towards the elevator.

A/N:

Eto na po ang bagong kabanata sa buhay nina Maine at RJ, char! Finally after 18 chapters, sila na! Thank you po for sticking around patiently waiting for my updates,for always voting and leaving comments on each chapter. Nakakaiyak ang suporta nyo. Lamyu all! 😘

I’ve been quite busy with realidad and AMACON3 Drabble Challenge (all of which I post in Oikos: MaiChard Drabbles book) but I will try to update Never the Strangers as much as I could. Salamat po ulit!

As usual, non-beta'd and non-proofread but please do let me know what you think by tweeting me at @bankingonkismet or commenting down below.