First Date

They stayed like this for a few more seconds before he let her go. His hands on both her shoulders, and at an arm's length, he looked into her eyes once more, chuckling as he shook his head then whispered, "Thank you, Mama."

"RJ, I'm getting confused here. Ano ba?" she said exasperated. She wanted to know why he suddenly looked so happy and why he thought she was it.

"Sorry. Sorry. It's just that...Hay, I can't believe this. Iba ka din, Universe. Ang lakas ko sayo." He said to no one on particular.

"RJ, I swear if you're on drugs, I will have your ass picked up by the police. Explain mo na kasi."

"Ok, eto na po. Sorry na."

"Dito tayo sa couch."

"Ganito kasi yun..."

RJ told her his dream while Maine listen intently. She wasn't sure how to feel about this because after all, it was just that, a dream but RJ seem to think that it was much more than that, that it meant something.

"Ok, so napanagipan mo ako. Pero why is it such a big deal?"

Before RJ could answer her question, they both heard the rumbling of thunder and the crack on lightning in the evening sky that they both got startled and turned their attention towards the window. Rain suddenly poured.

"Shit." They said in unison.

"Hala, first date natin umuulan. Argh. I'm sorry, Maine. Ang lakas ng ulan. Pano tayo aalis nito?"

"It's fine. It's not your fault."

"I made plans e. May reservations tayo."

"That's fine. I'm okay staying in. Ok lang sayo? We can cook something na lang."

"Are you okay with that? This is not how I pictured how our first date would go. Bawi ako sa second date natin ha."

"Huuuuy, lakas namang makapag-aya ng second date di pa nga naguumpisa first date natin."

RJ chuckled in response. No matter what happens tonight, he knew he'd still ask her for a second date. And a third and a fourth. You get the picture.

"Bakit, ayaw mo?" he pouted exaggeratedly earning him a pinch on his cheeks.

"Asusus, ang cute mo. Syempre, gusto. Ops, yung ngiting tagumpay mo, wait lang. Baka ikaw ang umayaw after this night is over."

"Maine, I highly doubt that." He said, his face growing serious. The sincerity in his eyes would put politicians to shame.

"Okay, so ano nang gagawin natin?" she said, desperately wanting to change the topic. RJ was slowly but surely peeling away her insecurities, the Universe evidently refuting her theory that men such as RJ doesn't exist anymore.

RJ clapped his hand together and stood up from the couch, heading towards her fridge. "Ok, what do you have in here?"

She followed suit and in a soft voice, "Ahm, di pa ko nakapaggroceries e."

RJ did not respond. He opened her fridge and took out eggs, cilantro, lime and spring onions. "Ayun! Meron ka ang srirracha and instant noodles?"

"Meron. Andyan sa cupboard. May maluluto ka ba out of those ingredients?"

"Sit back and relax. We'll have our dinner in 10 minutes."

"Owkaaaay. The kitchen is yours."

As he busied himself in the kitchen, she picked up the boxes RJ brought over and opened them. She laughed. "Ang sweet mo, RJ. Thank you! May pa-Mikmik, Hani at Hawhaw ka pa. Sakto ubos na yung supply ko."