Chapter 4

"Do you love me?" Calista Hargrove asked her husband Adam, her arms curled up against his chest.

He leaned over and kissed her knuckles. "Of course I love you."

"Do you miss all the hot girls who used to follow you around?"

Adam chuckled. "Hot girls? As in plural? Like more than one? I thought there was only one. Just you--singular."

Calista blushed as she placed her palm against her husband's bare chest. They were in bed and she could feel his heart beating beneath her palm. "You always know what to say, don't you?"

"That's not true." Adam's eyes were focused on his wife. "I was tongue-tied the first time I met you."

"You were seven," Calista reminded him.

"Still...it was love at first sight. I think it took you longer to come around. I had to seduce you with some Milk Duds and a Pepsi."

Calista laughed. "Stop judging me! My mom never let me have sweets."

"I know. Once we shared that Pepsi, I knew you'd be coming back for more. You were mine." Adam tickled her side.

"Eww...you sound like a creep. I'll have you know that I've always liked you even before you shared your junk food with me."

"Really?"

"Really." Calista giggled. "The first time I met you, you were holding a puppy. How could I not have liked you?"

"So do you regret it?" Adam asked. He was tracing circles against her bare torso which was making it difficult for Calista to concentrate.

"Regret what?"

"Only being with me. We've been dating since we were teens," Adam whispered. He leaned over and gently kissed her lips. "Now we're married."

"Do you regret it?" Calista asked.

"Marrying you?"

"That...and not being with any other women besides me."

Adam grinned. "Well, it's unfortunate for all the women out there but not for me."

"Why not for you?"

"Because I have you. You're the only one I want."

Calista's lips curled upward. "That's right. You better not want any other women besides me."

"It's you and me for life, baby." Adam's lips met Calista's in a lazy kiss.

"Adam, I love you. You know that, right?"

"I knew that since I was seven and let you eat all my Milk Duds."

"If something ever happened to me, would you get remarried?" Calista asked.

Adam groaned. "That's such a mood-killer kind of question."

"I'm serious. Would you remarry?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I can't imagine feeling this way again about someone else."

"I'd want you to though."

"You'd want me to what?"

"Move on. I wouldn't want you to be sad and alone," Calista whispered.

"Even if something did happen to you...and knock on wood that it doesn't...but if something did, I'd never be alone."

"What do you mean? Do you have some side-chick I don't know about?" Calista's eyes narrowed and her husband laughed again.